[comp.sources.d] Editor source code

amigo@milton.u.washington.edu (The Friend) (04/25/91)

     I'm currently in progress on a basic text editor. If anyone can
provide some source code to an editor, it'd help considerably (editors
aren't easy to design).

                                                       Thanks,

--
--------------------------------------///------------------------------------
                                     ///  amigo@milton.u.washington.edu

Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM (04/27/91)

The>      I'm currently in progress on a basic text editor. If anyone
The> can provide some source code to an editor, it'd help considerably
The> (editors aren't easy to design).

pick up GNU Emacs from prep.ai.mit.edu

meissner@osf.org (Michael Meissner) (04/29/91)

In article <DANJ1.91Apr27033327@cbnewse.ATT.COM> Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM writes:

| The>      I'm currently in progress on a basic text editor. If anyone
| The> can provide some source code to an editor, it'd help considerably
| The> (editors aren't easy to design).
|
| pick up GNU Emacs from prep.ai.mit.edu

While I am an ardent GNU emacs and epoch user, I would say GNU emacs
is definately not a basic text editor, and it's internals can be
complex (trust me, I've ported it to 3 different machines, and wrote
unexec for two object file formats).  Something like mg might be
better.

I seem to remember that there articles last year about either MIT tech
reports or books from the MIT Press about the general editor design
issues.

Also, I am probably wrong, but the original article smells like a Comp
Sci homework assignment....
--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner@osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861

Considering the flames and intolerance, shouldn't USENET be spelled ABUSENET?