[comp.sources.d] source packages and supported platforms

In article <1991Apr25.145012.25954@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>, elliss@kira.egr.msu.edu (Stew Ellis) writes:
|> I think that all posters of any sourcecode ought to
|> include complete information on all particulars of hardware and software
|> configuration of the systems that they have actually brought the package up
|> on, and the difficulty of configuring for the known good targets, then a list
|> of suspected or known difficult targets.

  All packages posted to comp.sources.reviewed will have an introductory
posting with certain required information in it.  Supported platforms is one
of the required sections.

  Furthermore, the summary of reviewers' comments will probably mention any
platforms on which bringing the package up was particular difficult.

  Perhaps the other source newsgroups can learn something from the new kid on
the block. :-)

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace

kent@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM (Kent Landfield) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr25.201646.13689@athena.mit.edu> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>In article <1991Apr25.145012.25954@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>, elliss@kira.egr.msu.edu (Stew Ellis) writes:
>|> I think that all posters of any sourcecode ought to
>|> include complete information on all particulars of hardware and software
>|> configuration of the systems that they have actually brought the package up
>|> on, and the difficulty of configuring for the known good targets, then a list
>|> of suspected or known difficult targets.
>

>  Perhaps the other source newsgroups can learn something from the new kid on
>the block. :-)

This is being done with the Environment: header line in comp.sources.games.
The Keywords: line has been used in the past but certain saves from rn can
drop the Keywords: header.  I have considered using the Environment: line in
comp.sources.misc.  It would have been useful in this situation had I known
the limitation.

My questions are one of use. Should the Environment: line be adopted by
comp.sources.misc ?  This question has probably been answered but I would
like to get some additional comments.  Next, when should the Environment:
header be used ? Always or just when the moderator is alerted to a limiting
condition ?  Something in between ?  Anyone want to take a stab at a list
of standard keywords to be contained within this line ?

If there is something that I as moderator can do to format the postings
to make it easier for the users to deal with then let me know. I don't
think that you will get much disagreement from me.  We just need to hash
out its usage and I will incorporate it into future postings to
comp.sources.misc.

			-Kent+

--
Kent Landfield                   INTERNET: kent@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM
Sterling Software, IMD           UUCP:     uunet!sparky!kent

In article <1991Apr26.155106.10943@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM> kent@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM (Kent Landfield) writes:

   This is being done with the Environment: header line in comp.sources.games.

When we were discussing how to do things in c.s.r, we discussed
putting the environment information in a header line.  However, we
decided in the end not to do this for a few reasons (and I'm sure that
if I forget any of them, someone else who was involved in the
discussion will pipe up):

1. Non-standard header lines are, in general, a bad idea.  For
   example, the header lines that rn is capable of manipulating (i.e.
   showing vs. hiding) are hard-coded, and it can't deal with any
   lines that aren't in its hard-coded list (obviously, this is a
   major lose, and some newsreaders {such as xrn} have overcome this
   difficulty, but it's still a problem).

2. The environment information often takes more than one line.  Or, in
   order to fit it on one line confusing abbreviations sometimes have
   to be used.

3. Archives are often kept of shar files without saving the headers of
   the messages that came with the shars.  If important information is
   in the header, that information ca be lost.

So, the end result of our discussion was the conclusion that the
environment restrictions on packages would be described in the text of
its introductory posting, rather than in a header line.

Of course, if comp.sources.games has been using a header line, and
they haven't had any problems, perhaps we should reconsider our
decision.  But I think I'll hold off on suggesting that until we do it
the way we've decided to for a while so that we have something we can
compare against how comp.sources.games does things.

Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace
jik@Athena.MIT.EDU				Allston, MA  02134
Office: 617-253-8085			      Home: 617-782-0710

You can always do what all the sources groups do with new header lines: put
them in a sub-header at the top of the article body.
--
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com

billr@saab.CNA.TEK.COM (Bill Randle) (05/02/91)

In article <JIK.91Apr28012246@pit-manager.mit.edu> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>In article <1991Apr26.155106.10943@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM> kent@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM (Kent Landfield) writes:
>
>   This is being done with the Environment: header line in comp.sources.games.
>
>1. Non-standard header lines are, in general, a bad idea.  For
>   example, the header lines that rn is capable of manipulating (i.e.
>   showing vs. hiding) are hard-coded, and it can't deal with any
>   lines that aren't in its hard-coded list (obviously, this is a
>   major lose, and some newsreaders {such as xrn} have overcome this
>   difficulty, but it's still a problem).

That's why the c.s.g. Environment: header isn't a news header, but rather
a package/archive header. That is, it is included with the Archive-name:
and Submitted-by: headers. This way, it should be saved by any newsreader
as long as the article is saved, rather than exploded in place (w| unshar).

It is true that it limits you to only one line, but if the list of
limitations is longer than that, I would suggest that either a better
keyword could be used tha encompasses everything or else the package is
really specific to a single machine/OS.

Don't get me wrong - I think for c.s.reviewed it makes sense to include the
limitations in with the other introductory material that is being generated.

	-Bill Randle
	Moderator, comp.sources.games
	Tektronix, Inc.
	billr@saab.CNA.TEK.COM