[comp.sources.d] v20i052: notation - chess text handler, Part01/04

woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) (06/18/91)

In article <csm-v20i052=notation.001358@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM>
Henry.Thomas@irisa.fr writes:
[ Wow, how about that wild message-id! ]

> Submitted-by: Henry Thomas <hthomas@irisa.fr>
> Posting-number: Volume 20, Issue 52
> Archive-name: notation/part01
> Supersedes: notation: Volume 18, Issue 12-14
>[....]
> ** COPYRIGHT
>   This is a freeware program. Commercial use is prohibited. It is free
> for non-commercial use.  You have the right to modify it, give it,
> provided you don't modify the copyright notice and my name still
> remains clearly indicated. For the others packages (Cheq and chess
> font) refer to the original copyright notice.
>[....]
> Henry Thomas - IRISA 		 - E-mail: Henry.Thomas@irisa.fr
> Campus Universitaire de Beaulieu - Phone: (+33)99 36 20 00 +549
> 35042 RENNES CEDEX FRANCE 	 - Fax: (+33)99 38 38 32 Telex: UNIRISA 950473F
> Telex Atlas X400: /X121=842950473/@atlas.fr, Fax:/X121=200099383832/@atlas.fr

You can't do that, at least on this side of the pond.

Copyright is the "right to copy", not the "right to use", and if you
give away copies, prior to gaining some form of acceptance to your
"licence", you can't restrict the use of those copies.

On the other hand, what you might mean is that it is free to give away
copies (and/or the original) to non-commercial third parties, but
copies (and/or the original) may not be sold.

(Not that I can see any great commercial application for your
software, mind you.... :-)
--
							Greg A. Woods
woods@{eci386,gate,robohack,ontmoh,tmsoft}.UUCP		ECI and UniForum Canada

kent@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM (Kent Landfield) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun18.163649.23102@eci386.uucp> woods@eci386.UUCP (Greg A. Woods) writes:
>In article <csm-v20i052=notation.001358@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM>
>Henry.Thomas@irisa.fr writes:
>[ Wow, how about that wild message-id! ]

Like that do ya Greg ? :-)  I have added some code to my posting software to
assist readers who use threaded newsreaders.  I was asked if I could add
same thread.  The request made perfect sense so ...  Nice to know there are
a few people awake out there... :-) :-)

			-Kent+

--
Kent Landfield                   INTERNET: kent@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM
Sterling Software, IMD           UUCP:     uunet!sparky!kent

emv@msen.com (Ed Vielmetti) (06/19/91)

> multipart postings so that the postings appear as the same thread

Good thinking to make all of the parts apper with the rest.  Can I
make one more suggestion?  Package part 01 of n so that it's very
small, article-sized, with the the introductory front matter that
gives you a description of what the software is and does and (perhaps)
if it has a full-time home on an ftp site.  That would make it easier
to reuse the "base note" for each article in other contexts; in
particular, we wouldn't be very far at all from cross-posting that
article direct into comp.archives.

--Ed