[comp.sources.d] Any get BEAV compiled for SCO Xenix 2.3.2?

marcs@crpmks.uucp (Marc Snyder) (06/23/91)

Hello all,
	The subject says it all.  I have not been able to get beav compiled
with SCO Xenix 2.3.2 with the SCO development system, or gcc.  Here is
what I get:

	cc -O -DXENIX basic.o ebcdic.o fileio.o region.o text.o wangpc.o  buffer.o echo.o main.o search.o tty.o window.o  cinfo.o extend.o kbd.o spawn.o ttyio.o termio.o tcap.o word.o  display.o file.o line.o random.o symbol.o ttykbd.o format.o -ltermcap -lc -o beav

/bin/ld : error: Unresolved externals:

_ncol in file(s):
 display.o(display.c) echo.o(echo.c)
_ttclose in file(s):
 display.o(display.c)
_ttflush in file(s):
 display.o(display.c) extend.o(extend.c) tty.o(tty.c) search.o(search.c) echo.o(echo.c)
_ttgetc in file(s):
 ttykbd.o(ttykbd.c) random.o(random.c) display.o(display.c) search.o(search.c)
_ttkeyready in file(s):
 display.o(display.c) search.o(search.c)
_nrow in file(s):
 display.o(display.c) window.o(window.c) search.o(search.c) main.o(main.c) echo.o(echo.c)
_ttputc in file(s):
 display.o(display.c) tty.o(tty.c) echo.o(echo.c)
_ttopen in file(s):
 display.o(display.c)
*** Error code 2

Stop.

I'd really like to get this package running.  Anyone out there with some
advice?  Thanks in advance.
--
Marc Snyder                     UUCP: ...philabs!crpmks!marcs
System Administrator

elliss@kira.egr.msu.edu (Stew Ellis) (06/25/91)

marcs@crpmks.uucp (Marc Snyder) writes:

>Hello all,
>	The subject says it all.  I have not been able to get beav compiled
>with SCO Xenix 2.3.2 with the SCO development system, or gcc.  Here is
>what I get:

>	cc -O -DXENIX basic.o ebcdic.o fileio.o region.o text.o wangpc.o  buffer.o echo.o main.o search.o tty.o window.o  cinfo.o extend.o kbd.o spawn.o ttyio.o termio.o tcap.o word.o  display.o file.o line.o random.o symbol.o ttykbd.o format.o -ltermcap -lc -o beav

>/bin/ld : error: Unresolved externals:

>_ncol in file(s):
> display.o(display.c) echo.o(echo.c)
>_ttclose in file(s):
> display.o(display.c)
>_ttflush in file(s):
> display.o(display.c) extend.o(extend.c) tty.o(tty.c) search.o(search.c) echo.o(echo.c)
>_ttgetc in file(s):
> ttykbd.o(ttykbd.c) random.o(random.c) display.o(display.c) search.o(search.c)
>_ttkeyready in file(s):
> display.o(display.c) search.o(search.c)
>_nrow in file(s):
> display.o(display.c) window.o(window.c) search.o(search.c) main.o(main.c) echo.o(echo.c)
>_ttputc in file(s):
> display.o(display.c) tty.o(tty.c) echo.o(echo.c)
>_ttopen in file(s):
> display.o(display.c)
>*** Error code 2

>Stop.

>I'd really like to get this package running.  Anyone out there with some
>advice?  Thanks in advance.
>--
>Marc Snyder                     UUCP: ...philabs!crpmks!marcs
>System Administrator
>Ciba-Geigy Corporation
>Hawthorne, New York          Work: 914.785.2284      Play: 914.347.6440

Without plunging too deeply into this, I can make a couple of observations.
One, I always put the target (e.g. -o beav) before the list of objects in the
linker call; I had a c compiler sometime that got hysterical about order.
All(?) of the unresolved externs seem to come from the terminal libs.  Is
your curses setup to default to terminfo or termcap?  Here there may be
another artifact of the order problem.  You should resolve libc first.  I
never explicitly load it, so it loads first.  There may be some problem with
explicitly listing it after -ltermcap.  I would drop the -lc and move the
-o beav earlier and see what happens.  If you still get some unresolved
externs (particularly _ttkeyready) the code may have found some terminfo
curses stuff.  Try substituting -lcurses for -ltermcap.  Let me know.

                                             _________________________________
  R.Stewart (Stew) Ellis                    / _______________________________/
  Assoc. Prof. of Social Science           / /      ______  ____________  __
  Dept. of Humanities & Social Science    / /      /___  / / ___  ___  / / /
  1700 W. Third Avenue                   / /          / / / /  / /  / / / /
  Flint, MI 48504                       / /__________/ / / /  / /  / / / /
  313-762-9765 Office                  /______________/ /_/  /_/  /_/ /_/

  elliss@frith.egr.msu.edu            ENGINEERING & MANAGEMENT INSTITUTE

  "Apple Macintosh, the closed system for people with supposedly open minds."
    - plagiarized from someone else on the net
  "How you gonna do it? OS/2 it!" - stupid IBM ad
  "Have you ever heard anything so half-OSsed?" - me

pvr@wang.com (Peter Reilley) (06/26/91)

marcs@crpmks.uucp (Marc Snyder) writes:

>Hello all,
>	The subject says it all.  I have not been able to get beav compiled
>with SCO Xenix 2.3.2 with the SCO development system, or gcc.  Here is
>what I get:

>	cc -O -DXENIX basic.o ebcdic.o fileio.o region.o text.o wangpc.o  buffer.o echo.o main.o search.o tty.o window.o  cinfo.o extend.o kbd.o spawn.o ttyio.o termio.o tcap.o word.o  display.o file.o line.o random.o symbol.o ttykbd.o format.o -ltermcap -lc -o beav
            ^^^^^

	This should be UNIX as in the makefile that I included in the posting.
The unresolves are in the file termio.c and UNIX causes that file to be
defined.   The UNIX is used to specify UNIX/XENIX as opposed to DOS.

>/bin/ld : error: Unresolved externals:

>_ncol in file(s):
> display.o(display.c) echo.o(echo.c)
>_ttclose in file(s):