[comp.sys.misc] TeX driver

YSiret@his-phoenix-multics.arpa (11/14/86)

Does anybody know where I could find a driver to print TeX-DVI files
onto a CANON LBP-8-A2 laser printer.

I Can produce DVI files through TeX on my Multics, and no-doubtly
transfer a file fromMultics to my CANON laser printer - probably as to
any terminal equipment But I am still looking for a driver to transform
DVI to CANON-LBP format

I would be interrested preferably by a driver running on Multics but any
driver - that could be "easily" converted to Multics would be welcomed

Thank you for help

dyer@atari.UUcp (Landon Dyer) (11/17/86)

In article <5393@brl-smoke.ARPA>, YSiret@his-phoenix-multics.arpa writes:
> Does anybody know where I could find a driver to print TeX-DVI files
> onto a CANON LBP-8-A2 laser printer.
>
> I Can produce DVI files through TeX on my Multics, and no-doubtly
> transfer a file fromMultics to my CANON laser printer - probably as to
> any terminal equipment But I am still looking for a driver to transform
> DVI to CANON-LBP format
>
> I would be interrested preferably by a driver running on Multics but any
> driver - that could be "easily" converted to Multics would be welcomed

We have a CANON LBP-8-A2, and (for TeX, at least) it's one of the
worst laser-printers in the world.  I spent four weekends bending the
fabric of space-time, and finally got a kludge together (using an
Atari ST as an intermediary, between our VAX and the printer).  It is
VERY slow (about a minute per page) because of the absolutely insane
(read: stupid) interface.

If you've got 4.2 BSD and an Atari ST (520 or 1040) then I'll give
away the driver/server source code.  But you're not gonna like it....

--

-Landon Dyer, Atari Corp.		        {sun,lll-lcc,imagen}!atari!dyer