[comp.sys.misc] ARC and ZOO programs - new FAST arc/unarc

W8SDZ@simtel20.arpa (Keith Petersen) (11/15/86)

Anyone using the ARC512 or ZOO programs for MS/PCDOS should take a
serious look at PKARC.  PK stands for Phil Katz, the author.  He's
done a SUPER job of optimizing the speed and file compression.  It
beats both ARC and ZOO hands down!  It's the fastest ARC/UNARC program
I've ever seen.  The latest version is now available from
SIMTEL20.ARPA as:

Filename			Type	 Bytes	 CRC

Directory PD:<MSDOS.ARC-LBR>
PKX33A12.COM.1			BINARY	 53248  E4D6H

This file, when executed, extracts PKARC, PKXARC and their DOCs.

Unlike ARC512 (now obsolete as far as I'm concerned), this program is
FREE - no obligations.  The ARCs it makes are significantly smaller
than ARC512's but are still extractable under ARC512 (if you want to
wait that long).  This version also allows entry of comments into the
ARC which can later be displayed.  ARC512 will ignore them.

--Keith Petersen
Arpa: W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA
Uucp: {bellcore,decwrl,harvard,lll-crg,ucbvax,uw-beaver}!simtel20.arpa!w8sdz
GEnie Mail: W8SDZ
RCP/M Royal Oak: 313-759-6569 (300, 1200, 2400 bps)

nobody@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Unprivileged user) (11/17/86)

In article <805@brl-adm.ARPA> W8SDZ@simtel20.arpa (Keith Petersen) writes:
>Anyone using the ARC512 or ZOO programs for MS/PCDOS should take a
>serious look at PKARC.  PK stands for Phil Katz, the author.  He's
>done a SUPER job of optimizing the speed and file compression.  It
>beats both ARC and ZOO hands down!  It's the fastest ARC/UNARC program
>I've ever seen.  The latest version is now available from
>SIMTEL20.ARPA as:

I agree that pkarc and pkxarc are great;  but I can't help
a sense of regret that the original ARC author hasn't received
more recognition/compensation for a wonderful program which has
been helping us all for years -- and which continues to help us
through improved clones.  I'm struggling with my own conscience
on this (yes, I'm one of the innumerable "offenders"), and I
urge everyone else to do the same.

	Rick Randall    EECS Department
			University of California, San Diego

	decvax\ 	rick@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu