[comp.sys.misc] MS Windows - Anyone out there?

jwg@duke.UUCP (Jeffrey William Gillette) (11/10/86)

[]

Having spent much of the last month developing my first MS Windows
Application (a simple concordance program for the Hebrew and Christian
Scriptures in the original languages), I am thoroughly impressed with
the theory behind Windows, reasonably impressed with the implementation,
and largely frustrated by the quality of the documentation and lack of
development / debugging tools.

Is there a forum somewhere on the net where Windows is discussed?  Are
other Windows developers out in net.land?  If there is not already a
Windows forum, is there sufficient interest to establish some type of
mailing list, etc. for passing information and questions.

I already know about Dial - the MS bulletin board service.  We have been
participating in it for a few weeks now, and must soon decide whether to
shell out the $300 to subscribe for a year.  Dial articles tend to be
bug reports and remedial documentation - very helpful, but also very
formal.  I am, however, also interested in informal discussion of
programming experiences, things to watch out for, and helpful discoveries.

Peace,

Jeffrey William Gillette		uucp: mcnc!duke!ducall!jeff
Humanities Computing Facility		bitnet: DYBBUK at TUCCVM
Duke University

--
Jeffrey William Gillette	uucp:  mcnc!ethos!ducall!jeff
Humanities Computing Facility 	bitnet: DYBBUK @ TUCCVM

W8SDZ@simtel20.arpa (Keith Petersen) (11/15/86)

There is a Microsoft Windows RoundTable on GEnie, run by folks from
Microsoft.  GEnie's online change is only $5 per hour during non-prime
hours for 300 or 1200 bps access, available in over 400 cities as a
local call.

--Keith Petersen
Arpa: W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA
Uucp: {bellcore,decwrl,harvard,lll-crg,ucbvax,uw-beaver}!simtel20.arpa!w8sdz
GEnie Mail: W8SDZ
RCP/M Royal Oak: 313-759-6569 (300, 1200, 2400 bps)

curtis@uwmacc.UUCP (Alan Curtis) (11/26/86)

Concerning sources for MS Windows, there's a new publication called
Microsoft Tech Journal whose first issue was dedicated solely to
Windows topics.  Considering Microsoft's commitment to Windows and it's
ongoing development, I presume that they will continue to focus on this
area in MTJ.

--
Alan Curtis
Madison Academic Computing Center

petera@utcsri.UUCP (Peter Ashwood-Smith) (11/27/86)

> Concerning sources for MS Windows, there's a new publication called
> Microsoft Tech Journal whose first issue was dedicated solely to
> Windows topics.  Considering Microsoft's commitment to Windows and it's
> ongoing development, I presume that they will continue to focus on this
> area in MTJ.

     Sounds interesting but how does one get MS-windows  programming
info in the first place. I have not seen any books on the subject. Does
MS have a guide available?

   Peter Ashwood-Smith
   University of Toronto