[comp.sys.misc] Unix File Formats on Floppy Disk

C0%DDAESA10.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu (Richard J Waite) (12/06/86)

Hi,
   I wish to transfer some program source code from a UNIX machine to an
IBM pc. The use of a RS232 link is not an option. Does anyone know of a product
that can read a Unix written floppy and write to an IBM pc floppy.

Many thanks,

dick waite.

johnl@ima.UUCP (John R. Levine) (12/08/86)

In article <1304@brl-adm.ARPA> C0%DDAESA10.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu (Richard J Waite) writes:
>   I wish to transfer some program source code from a UNIX machine to an
>IBM pc. The use of a RS232 link is not an option. Does anyone know of a product
>that can read a Unix written floppy and write to an IBM pc floppy.

If your Unix system runs on a PC or something like it, it doubtless has a
utility to read and write DOS formatted disks.  I can personally vouch for
the existence of such programs for PC/IX and Xenix on the PC and PC-AT,
and AIX on the RT PC.  AIX even has DOS emulation which reads and writes
DOS and Unix files directly with commands like "copy."  On other machines,
your biggest problem is plugging in a disk drive that can physically read and
write the same format as a PC.
--
John R. Levine, Javelin Software Corp., Cambridge MA +1 617 494 1400
{ ihnp4 | decvax | cbosgd | harvard | yale }!ima!johnl, Levine@YALE.EDU