[comp.sys.misc] STELLA

sierchio@milano.UUCP (01/01/87)

I need info. relating to STELLA (sp?), an animation/simulation tool
on the Macintosh.  Anyone with experience with this product is requested
to contact me ASAP.  Also, any info, even if you haven't seen it, would
be helpful.  I don't even know who makes it or how much it costs, and
I need to make a decision about whether it is a useful tool for my
application.

A follow-up article would be fine, and a direct response to me would
also be appreciated.

Thanks.

--

	Michael Sierchio @ MCC Software Technology Program

	UUCP:	ut-sally!im4u!milano!sierchio
	ARPA:	sierchio@mcc.ARPA

	THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED AREN'T NECESSARILY.

cline@decvax.UUCP (Greg Cline) (01/03/87)

In article <3224@milano.UUCP> sierchio@milano.UUCP writes:

>I need info. relating to STELLA (sp?), an animation/simulation tool
>Also, any info, even if you haven't seen it, would
>be helpful.  I don't even know who makes it or how much it costs, and
>I need to make a decision about whether it is a useful tool for my
>application.

    STELLA is a Systems Dynamics Tool written by Professor Barry
Richmond at Dartmouth College.  From what I know, Systems
Dynamics was pioneered by Jay Forrester at MIT and others.
The field has application in many disciplines, from Business
to Chemistry.  For instance, Professor Richmond uses STELLA
in his "Management of Technical Innovation" class he teaches
at the Tuck School at Dartmouth.  Likewise, a chemistry
professor used STELLA to model chemical reactions.

    A system does not always act intuitively.  Using STELLA, one
can model a system and observe it under different circumstances.
For a review of STELLA, see the Winter 1985 edition of "Wheels
For the Mind," a periodical published at Boston College by
the Apple University Educational Consortium.

Greg Cline
Base Workstation Development