[comp.sys.misc] IBM/Apple disk interchange?

TMPLee@dockmaster.arpa (01/12/87)

Does anyone know of any software that would run on an Apple II and allow
it to read and/or write IBM PC format (5.25") disks (with a regular
Apple drive) or which would run on an IBM PC and allow it to read and/or
write Apple-formatted disks?  (I'm talking about software, not a
hardware card, for instance.)  (either Apple DOS or ProDOS format) Seems
like it ought to be possible on the Apple since the Apple drive is
driven at a very low-level by the 6502.

berger@clio.UUCP (01/17/87)

Unfortunately, the Apple disks are vastly different than anything else.
My Central Point Systems Copy II PC Options Card can copy many Apple II
disks, and read them track by track - but you can't do it without
special hardware.

There are at least two products on the market to let you have
Apple II compatible disks.  Both are hardware products.

ben@catnip.UUCP (01/18/87)

In article <2274@brl-adm.ARPA> TMPLee@dockmaster.arpa writes:
>Does anyone know of any software that would run on an Apple II and allow
>it to read and/or write IBM PC format (5.25") disks (with a regular
>Apple drive) or which would run on an IBM PC and allow it to read and/or
>write Apple-formatted disks?  (I'm talking about software, not a
>hardware card, for instance.)  (either Apple DOS or ProDOS format) Seems
>like it ought to be possible on the Apple since the Apple drive is
>driven at a very low-level by the 6502.

No, it isn't possible.  If it were, Apple would use this format and you
would enjoy 360k bytes of data on your Apple drive rather than 143k.
The Apple disk II has fewer tracks (35) than the PC, is only single sided,
and employs soft sectoring w/o using the index hole.

--

Ben Broder
{ihnp4,decvax} !hjuxa!catnip!ben