[comp.sys.misc] Unix "gurus" & computer wars

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicarious Oyster) (01/22/87)

In article <1270@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:

>Get a clue, pal...

   Huh?  I suppose it's time to drag out my Dictionary of American Regional
English.

>...ask a UNIX wiz why MS-DOS doesn't qualify as a real OS.

   Asking a Unix "guru" about *anything* except Unix is like asking a
used-car salesman about the cars on somebody elses' lot.

>Of course, you can buy an ***** and not need a "higher memory model".
>I've got one here with a megabyte, there's one in the next office with
>512K, I've another around here with 4 megabytes on it.  All the same
>model.

  Hmmmm, I don't want to get into computer wars here (*), but my "low
memory model" competitors computer has more memory than it came with.
What's the point?

(*) Computer wars make me wonder.  After all, if an owner of computer
A was secure in his/her purchase, why bother attempting to belittle computer
model B (and C).  Envy?  (Oh-oh, here comes the flood...)

>And since the *****'s OS multitasks, you can do
>real things with that memory, not just attempt to get by with kludges
>like "desk accessories" or "memory-resident utilities".

   And here's another argument I scoff at.  Since I'm using analogies, how
about this:  Two people watch a world-class gymnast perform a flawless
routine.  One says to the other "Wow!  What ability!  What perfection!
What poetry!"  "Yes," responds the other, "but she's working *all* *out*,
and has been practicing for *years*.  I'm not impressed."

  The machine
>I'm typing on now has a CLI window open in the background doing a
>diskcopy, and as well I've got a screen blanking program, clock,
>print server, and a few other tasks running.  Just try that on one
>of the other machines.

  Well, hell. I own an ***** **, and the machine *I'm* typing on now has a
C compilation going in one window in the background, etc.  Heh, heh.
Clever, eh?  I didn't mention that I'm not using the **.  It's the IBM
XT, running a non-operating system, that I'm using.  Fooled yah! :-)

>     "You can keep my things, they've come to take me home"
>						-Peter Gabriel

      "Drink up, dreamers, you're running dry."
                  -ditto