[comp.sys.misc] Need a new computer II

jantypas@hope.UUCP (John Antypas) (11/20/86)

Hello again.  Many thanks to all of you people out there who
responded.  My decision has been narrowed down. I can get a 20M MsDos
clone for $1300 for everything, an Amiga (2 drives color, no HD) for
about $1400, or an Atari 1040 + 20M for about $1800.  My problem is
this.
	o Can anyone tell me any reason why I should get an MSDos machine
	  other than the fact that it's the cheapest and has a hard disk.
	  (I like hard disks, but we're thinking ahead here)
	  If you love MsDos, make your point known and save me money!

	o The Amiga needs more memory.  How much would it cost (ave.) to
	  put another 512 on it?

	o I don't trust Atari.  Is this unfounded.  Jack T is there you
	  know.  I don't want another Apple on my hands...

John Antypas

uucp: ...!sdcsvax!explicit_path!ucrmath!hope!jantypas
      ...!{ucbvax!ucdavis, ucivax, ucla-cs}!ucrmath!hope!jantypas
arpa: explicit_path!ucrmath!hope!jantypas@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu

daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (11/25/86)

> 	o The Amiga needs more memory.  How much would it cost (ave.) to
> 	  put another 512 on it?

From memory:

"Allegra" memory expansion board from Access Associates, list price $379.
Contains 512K, which is expandable to 2 Megs with 1 Meg density DRAMs (and
maybe a new PAL, which they'll sell you for $30.00).  No wait states, and
fully autoconfiguring, no pass-though bus.

"AMega" from C-LTD (the founders of CardCo),  list price $550.  Contains
1 Meg.  This one has a pass-though bus, its fully autoconfiguring, and I
don't know about whether it generates wait states or not.

"AX2000" from Comspec, list price $899, with 2 megs.  Autoconfiguring, pass
through bus, and I believe no wait states.  Comspec claims it uses enough
CMOS circuitry to allow two of these to be attached, for 4 Megs total, all
on the main Amiga power supply.

RS-Data sells a 4 Meg unit, list at $1,246, and a 2 Meg unit, listing at
$850.  These are expansion box cards, and 86 pin, not 100 pin, so they
don't auto-configure.  The expansion box would run you another $100
or so to house a single card.  The 4 Meg card can supposedly be upgraded
to a total of 8 Megs.

As for hard disks, a quick summary of them:

MicroForge, 20 Megs, $1,230, non-DMA, requires expansion box
            (also sells 40 Meg and maybe others)
Microbotics, 20 Megs, $1,495, slow non-DMA, passes SCSI.
C LTD, 20 Megs, $999, non-DMA
Supra, 20 Megs, $799, DMA, not yet released
Byte-by-Byte, 20 Megs, ?????, DMA

> John Antypas
Dave Haynie	{caip,ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveh

	"Laws to supress tend to strengthen what they would prohibit.
	 This is the fine point on which all the legal professions of
	 history have based their job security."
						-Bene Gesserit Coda

These opinions are my own, though for a small fee they may be yours too.

evans@shuksan.UUCP (11/25/86)

> Hello again.  Many thanks to all of you people out there who
> responded.  My decision has been narrowed down. I can get a 20M MsDos
> clone for $1300 for everything, an Amiga (2 drives color, no HD) for
> about $1400, or an Atari 1040 + 20M for about $1800.  My problem is
> this.
> 	o Can anyone tell me any reason why I should get an MSDos machine
> 	  other than the fact that it's the cheapest and has a hard disk.
> 	  (I like hard disks, but we're thinking ahead here)
> 	  If you love MsDos, make your point known and save me money!
>
> 	o The Amiga needs more memory.  How much would it cost (ave.) to
> 	  put another 512 on it?

  Your price for the Amiga is overpriced.
	Inter Computing Inc. (214) 988-3500 sells mail order
	Amiga's with 512K memory added and the Monitor for $1295.00 ..
	The second drive is $239 . ( I would recomend one strongly)
  I have no affiliation with this company, I got good service there
	when my sister bought an Amiga from them, so I'm just passing
	this info on. Their price on software was good too.

					Gary Evans
					Boeing Co.
					Seattle, Wa.

IAIPS-DCAS@ada20.isi.edu (Daniel Reigada) (01/21/87)

   If you're looking for a good deal, in recent issues of Amiga World, there
has been an ad offering the Amiga with color monitor, 512K RAM and extra disk
drive for $1390.

   The company is called "Star-Flite Telemarketing."  They are located in
Nitro, West Virginia and their toll-free number is 1-800-223-7614.

   Other than what I read in the ad, I know nothing about this establishment
so, caveat emptor.
					Dan
-------

timothym@tekigm2.UUCP (01/22/87)

In article <2891@brl-adm.ARPA> IAIPS-DCAS@ada20.isi.edu (Daniel Reigada) writes:

>   The company is called "Star-Flite Telemarketing."  They are located in
>   Nitro, West Virginia and their toll-free number is 1-800-223-7614.

I would never buy anything from a company with a name and address like this.

Star FLIGHT, telemarketing. Seems a good acronym for flighty phone based,
don't have a real address, volatile company, some where in West Virginia.

I for sure wouldn'y give them my VISA number, especially on what is a very
obvious, way below cost, offer on an Amiga.

Sure, I could be wrong, but.......

BTW, my employer doesn't have the slightest idea what I do off the net, and
sure doesn't want to know what I do ON the net. Therefore I disclaim this
to be my opinion only, and if Star-Flight cars to sue anyone for slander, I
am solely responsible for his actions, who's actions, what was that? I missed
something here, where? For craps sake John, shod up! Sorry, can't do that
Bill, I just shot my horse. I plead insanity....... go ahead and sue!

--
Tim Margeson (206)253-5240
PO Box 3500  d/s C1-937                          @@   'Who said that?'

IAIPS-DCAS@ada20.isi.edu (02/04/87)

>   If you're looking for a good deal, in recent issues of Amiga World, there
> has been an ad offering the Amiga with color monitor, 512K RAM and extra
> disk drive for $1390.
>
>   The company is called "Star-Flite Telemarketing."  They are located in
> Nitro, West Virginia and their toll-free number is 1-800-223-7614.
>
>   Other than what I read in the ad, I know nothing about this establishment
> so, caveat emptor.

-------

     *** THE TELEPHONE NUMBER NUMBER ABOVE IS INCORRECT ***

     When I wrote the above message, I had misplaced the
telephone number and the AT&T information operator gave me the
number of an organization with a similar sounding name.

     This time I verified it by calling them.  Their toll free
number is 800-423-7347 and if you're not in the USA they can also
be reached at 304-345-5333.

     Incidentally, when I called, they told me that the price
is now $1349 plus shipping.

     I apologize for any inconvenience my previous message may
have caused.
						Dan
-------