[comp.sys.misc] Wordstar filter for Osborne needed

alan@cae780.UUCP (01/29/87)

Does anyone have a WORDSTAR filter program (public domain) for use on the
Osborne 1.  I need something to download WORDSTAR files without all the
control and spacing junk that is included in the normal WORDSTAR format.

				Thanks,
				G. Steinberg

(Posted by my brother...)
--
                                             Alan Steinberg
                                             tektronix!cae780!alan

Or would you rather be a fish...

metro@asi.UUCP (02/06/87)

In article <3383@cae780.TEK.COM>, alan@cae780.TEK.COM (Alan M. Steinberg) writes:
> Does anyone have a WORDSTAR filter program (public domain) for use on the
> Osborne 1.  I need something to download WORDSTAR files without all the
> control and spacing junk that is included in the normal WORDSTAR format.

If I remember right, pip has an option to strip off the high bit of all
characters as it copies files.  Using this option, will convert your wordstar
file into a more traditional format.  Then the only thing you need to do
is delete the dot (.) commands and print formating characters (^S,^B,etc.)

--
Metro T. Sauper, Jr.                              Assessment Systems, Inc.
Director, Remote Systems Development              210 South Fourth Street

pozar@hoptoad.UUCP (02/07/87)

In article <91@asi.UUCP> metro@asi.UUCP (Metro T. Sauper) writes:
>In article <3383@cae780.TEK.COM>, alan@cae780.TEK.COM (Alan M. Steinberg) writes:
>> Does anyone have a WORDSTAR filter program (public domain) for use on the
>> Osborne 1.  I need something to download WORDSTAR files without all the
>> control and spacing junk that is included in the normal WORDSTAR format.
>
>If I remember right, pip has an option to strip off the high bit of all
>characters as it copies files.  Using this option, will convert your wordstar
>file into a more traditional format.  Then the only thing you need to do
>is delete the dot (.) commands and print formating characters (^S,^B,etc.)

    You do remember right.  The command for striping the high bit off of
a file would be:
                  PIP filename.NEW=filename.OLD[z]

--
        Tim Pozar
UUCP    pozar@hoptoad.UUCP

Ghenis.pasa@xerox.com (02/11/87)

"Does anyone have a WORDSTAR filter program (public domain) for use on
the Osborne 1.  I need something to download WORDSTAR files without all
the control and spacing junk that is included in the normal WORDSTAR
format."

Here's a quick and dirty solution, using PIP, a program which was
included with your Osborne CP/M disks:

PIP myfile.TXT=myfile.WS [Z]

This will create a file with all the high bits set to zero (that's what
the [Z] option does). Since the high bit is used by WordStar for all the
junk you want to get rid of...

Pablo Ghenis, Secretary
OKOK  (Osborne Komputer Owners' Klub)
Pasadena, California