[comp.sys.misc] Hard Disk Set-Ups

fac@burdvax.UUCP (02/04/87)

> I have a Tandy 1000 (PC compat) with a 20MB hard drive in it.  Now, I
> have a problem using the hard  drive.  I can't seem to run programs that
> have support files associated with them (Procomm, Emacs, etc) from any
> directory other than their resident directories.  Specifically, if I'm
> in directory \games, and want to run, say PROCOMM in drive \comm, how do
> I do this?  I have a PATH set, but that only finds the program, not the
> associated support files.  How do I arrange my hard drive to get around
> this?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> --
>
> 			Steve Cooper
> 			...!seismo!umcp-cs!jhunix!ins_asac
> 			jhunix!ins_asac@CSNET
Well, for Procomm, there is an environment variable which tells
procomm.exe where to look for its initialization files. Mine is
set procomm=c:\com\procomm since that is the directory where the
initialization/config files are. If your application doesn't
support environment variables (pc-write, forinstance) then
make a bat file and store it in \bat.

Frank Cooley
Unisys
sdcrdcf!burdvax!fac

tony_ollivier.TORHO@xerox.com (02/06/87)

Another way to allow support files to be accessed from a subdirectory is
to obtain the IBM PCnet program APPEND.COM .  This program  is similar
to PATH but  allows support files (ie: *.ovl  *.hlp ) to be accessed
from the current directory

	the syntax is Append c:\games;c:\comm

Regards

	Tony Ollivier
	Xerox Canada Inc,

bobmon@iuvax.UUCP (02/07/87)

fac@burdvax.UUCP writes:

>> have a problem using the hard  drive.  I can't seem to run programs that
>> have support files associated with them (Procomm, Emacs, etc) from any
>> directory other than their resident directories.  Specifically, if I'm
>> in directory \games, and want to run, say PROCOMM in drive \comm, how do
>> I do this?
>Well, for Procomm, there is an environment variable which tells
>procomm.exe where to look for its initialization files. Mine is
>set procomm=c:\com\procomm since that is the directory where the
>initialization/config files are. If your application doesn't
>support environment variables (pc-write, forinstance) then
>make a bat file and store it in \bat.

I believe that such environment variables generally want a directory path that
is terminated with a slash; e.g. I use
	set PROCOMM=C:\TERMINAL\PROCOMM\
Also, I'm using PC-Write v2.55, and it does utilize an environment variable
(viz., set PCWRITE=C:\WORDPROC\).  In my experience the case was important --
all uppercase works, anyway.  And finally, some programs that want overlays and
don't know where to look, such as Wordstar, can be fooled by using a program
that takes the place of the PATH, such as Search or DPath.  I used Search with
version 3.7 microEmacs to find the emacs.rc file (but v3.8 knows to check the
PATH variable, now).
	p.s.  ARC uses the variable ARCTEMP to locate its working files (real
good if you're archiving onto a floppy).  Does anyone know offhand whether
PKARC uses an environment variable?  It just occurred to me that I never changed
that when I started using Katz's product.

fac@burdvax.UUCP (02/09/87)

> I believe that such environment variables generally want a directory path that
> is terminated with a slash; e.g. I use
> 	set PROCOMM=C:\TERMINAL\PROCOMM\
> Also, I'm using PC-Write v2.55, and it does utilize an environment variable
> (viz., set PCWRITE=C:\WORDPROC\).  In my experience the case was important --
> all uppercase works, anyway.  And finally, some programs that want overlays and
> don't know where to look, such as Wordstar, can be fooled by using a program
> that takes the place of the PATH, such as Search or DPath.  I used Search with
> version 3.7 microEmacs to find the emacs.rc file (but v3.8 knows to check the
> PATH variable, now).
> 	p.s.  ARC uses the variable ARCTEMP to locate its working files (real
> good if you're archiving onto a floppy).  Does anyone know offhand whether
> PKARC uses an environment variable?  It just occurred to me that I never changed
> that when I started using Katz's product.

Thanks for the correction, and the pc-write tip. Speaking of pkxarc,
I just installed it on 3.1, and I get "insufficient memory" trying
to run either pkarc or pkxarc, unless I boot without my
	SHELL c:command.com /P /E:32  statement

	anybody know why??

Frank Cooley
sdcrdcf!burdvax!fac

vanzandt@uiucdcsp.UUCP (02/15/87)

	I don't know what pkarc would being doing with the environment
space, but you've set your environment space low (at 32). Try raising the
E parameter...