[comp.sys.misc] DEC -> IBM

patent@nadc.arpa (02/02/87)

Does anyone know of any utilities that will allow me to copy information
(sequential files, etc..) from a DEC Rainbow to an IBM PC format.

					Eric Patent
					patent@nadc.arpa

kdale@bbncc-eur.arpa (02/03/87)

Eric,

Try Media Master by Intersecting Concepts.  It allows you to format DEC Rainbow
disks  (and  ~150  other  formats!)  on  the  IBM PC and clones (I use a Zenith
ZW-151) and read and write to that format, as well as transfer files from PC to
DEC.   There  are  other products that do the same, but MM is the only one that
I've had experience with.  It works.

Keith <kdale@bbncc-eur.arpa>

** I have no connection with Intersecting Concepts  other  than  as  a  pleased
customer.  So there. **

berger@clio.UUCP (02/07/87)

Micro Solutions (DeKalb, Il.) Uniform should also handle it.  Uniform
accomodates over 150 different formats, and works with 4 different
types of disk controllers:  So you can attach 3.5", 8", and high
density 5.25" disk drives as well as the standard dsdd drives.

kuo@skatter.UUCP (02/09/87)

In article <4185@brl-adm.ARPA>, patent@nadc.arpa writes:

> Does anyone know of any utilities that will allow me to copy information
> (sequential files, etc..) from a DEC Rainbow to an IBM PC format.

There are certain commerical programs, such as CONVERT or Media Master,
that will read a DEC Rainbow disk on an IBM PC/XT/AT. These programs will
also write the DEC Rainbow format (among 30+ other foramts).

Doesn't the Rainbow also run MS-DOS? (I seem to  remember hearing that) If
yes, then why not get the Rainbow to write a double density disk for the
PC (I think Rainbow uses quad-density).

Hope this helps.

... Peter/

uucp: {alberta,ihnp4}!sask!skatter!kuo

patent@nadc.arpa (02/17/87)

I should have more clearly stated my problem.  I have disks that were formatted
on a DEC rainbow with some data that I wish to get off.  I have no access to
any DEC rainbows or machines that can read this format.  I now know that
Media Master should solve my problems.  If anyone knows of any public domain
software to accomplish this same task, please reply.  I do not wish to purchase
the software because this is a one shot deal.  I shouldn't have this problem
again after the data is transferred.

Thanks for the help.

		Eric

(patent@nadc.arpa)