[comp.sys.misc] Rainbow to PC

hart%TAURUS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu (02/18/87)

[]

>In article <4185@brl-adm.ARPA>, patent@nadc.arpa writes:
>>
>> Does anyone know of any utilities that will allow me to copy information
>> (sequential files, etc..) from a DEC Rainbow to an IBM PC format.
>>

>There are certain commerical programs, such as CONVERT or Media Master,
>that will read a DEC Rainbow disk on an IBM PC/XT/AT. These programs will
>also write the DEC Rainbow format (among 30+ other foramts).
>
>Doesn't the Rainbow also run MS-DOS? (I seem to  remember hearing that) If
>yes, then why not get the Rainbow to write a double density disk for the
>PC (I think Rainbow uses quad-density).

Just format the diskette on the IBM PC, one-sided (format /1), and
then the Rainbow can write on it, and the PC can read from it.
You should NOT write on the diskette with the PC, just read what
the Rainbow wrote there.  Finally, make sure you did "mediachk on"
on your Rainbow before writing to the PC diskette.

           Sergiu Hart
     MAIL:      School of Mathematical Sciences
                Tel-Aviv University
                69978  Tel-Aviv,  Israel
     BITNET:    hart@taurus.bitnet
     ARPA:      hart%taurus.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu

P.S.  If more help is needed, you may contact me.  However, our
mail link will be down for about a week, so try again if you get no
reply.