[comp.sys.misc] DEC Rainbow

jantypas@hope.UUCP (02/24/87)

Does anyone in netland know what type of disks a Dec Rainbow can
read/write?  We are doing some software development and need to do it for a
rainbow but have only an AT and Dec Pro350 available.  Help!

John Antypas

uucp: ...!{ucbvax, decvax, ihnp4!jack}!ucrmath!soft21!root
arpa: ucrmath!soft21!root@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu
bitnet: ucdavis!ucrmath!soft21!root@Berkeley
csnet: ucbvax!ucdavis!ucrmath!soft21!root@tektronix.CSNET
decnet: (HELP Dec!)

pnessutt@nis.UUCP (02/27/87)

In article <1187@hope.UUCP> jantypas@hope.UUCP (John Antypas) writes:
>Does anyone in netland know what type of disks a Dec Rainbow can
>read/write?  We are doing some software development and need to do it for a
>rainbow but have only an AT and Dec Pro350 available.  Help!

We have 2 Rainbow's here and we presently use a mixture of 3M RX-50
diskettes and DEC supplied RX-50 diskettes.  These diskettes a bit
more expensive than normal DSDD diskettes but they are reliable.  The
only notable problem we have faced with them is that they have no hub
ring and this causes them to get beat up a bit if your drives are
flaky.  We have also used normal DSDD diskettes but usually only 3M's.
Many of the other brands we have tryed (except Fuji but you don't find
those around much anymore) tend not to be too reliable.

The Rainbow's drives are noisy, arn't they?  (I imagine you'd be noise
too if you had one R/W head that had to be shared between two single
sided diskettes)

Hope this helps.   -Bob

--
 Robert A. Monio                              UUCP: ihnp4!meccts!nis!pnessutt
 Systems/Analyst - Technical Services         ATT: (612) 894-9494

myers@andromeda.UUCP (03/04/87)

In article <1187@hope.UUCP> jantypas@hope.UUCP (John Antypas) writes:
>Does anyone in netland know what type of disks a Dec Rainbow can
>read/write?  We are doing some software development and need to do it for a
>rainbow but have only an AT and Dec Pro350 available.  Help!
>
>John Antypas

I had a lot of problems with that one myself...  I was using standard Double
Sided/Double Density diskettes without to much of a problem but I found out
that the Rainbow uses a Single Sided/Quad Density diskette that is specially
preformatted for the RX-50 Disk Drive...  They're not too hard to find but
they can be costly...  Best bet is to call one of the Dec Fido BBS's and ask
the Sysop where you could get them cheap...  I hope this helped..

Scott R. Myers

Reach Out and Touch Someone...
------------------------------
myers@andromeda.rutgers.edu
            or
   myers@aim.rutgers.edu

dutler@ihuxz.UUCP (03/04/87)

> I had a lot of problems with that one myself...  I was using standard Double
> Sided/Double Density diskettes without to much of a problem but I found out
> that the Rainbow uses a Single Sided/Quad Density diskette that is specially
> preformatted for the RX-50 Disk Drive...  They're not too hard to find but
> myers@andromeda.rutgers.edu

I have been using a Rainbow for 4 years now and I have a mix of double
and quad density disks. The quad disks I purchase before the formatter
was available for the Rainbow. The formatter came out for the Rainbow
in version 2.05 and later of MS-DOS. I now only purchase double sided
double density disks and have had no problems at all. The only disk
related problem for the Rainbow is that some manufacturers put an
extra thick reinforcing ring on the hub that can cause damage to the
RX50 drive in the Rainbow. Off hand, I can't think of what brands
do this, but a safe disk to use is Maxell. I have been able to get
them for a reasonable price and have never had one fail. I don't have
any connection with Maxell and you can buy whatever you like, just
a suggestion. How about it Rainbow users, any particular brands of
disks that cause the RX50 to fail?
--
Stan Dutler               There ya go man, Keep as cool as ya can
..ihnp4!ihuxz!dutler          Face piles of trials with smiles

campbell@maynard.UUCP (03/05/87)

In article <262@andromeda.UUCP> myers@andromeda.UUCP (Scott R Myers) writes:
>...  the Rainbow uses a Single Sided/Quad Density diskette that is specially
>preformatted for the RX-50 Disk Drive...  They're not too hard to finneed to buy special quad-density disks.  The Rainbow is perfectly capable
of formatting diskettes, and even though it records at 96 TPI, you can
use ordinary SSDD (or DSDD) diskettes as long as they're of good quality.

For a long time I used el cheapo no-name SSDD diskettes we got for about
27 cents each.  About 5% of them were unusable.  I got tired of that and
switched to Polaroid DSDD diskettes, for about 53 cents each.  They have
worked perfectly - I've never had a bad one.

There are several other DEC products that use RX50 diskettes as well,
including the MicroVAX, Micro-PDP11, Pro, and DECmate.  I think only
the Rainbow can format them, though, so if you have a Rainbow you might
hang on to it just so you can format cheap diskettes for your other
machines.
--
Larry Campbell                                The Boston Software Works, Inc.
Internet: campbell@maynard.uucp             120 Fulton Street, Boston MA 02109

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (03/05/87)

In article <1907@ihuxz.ATT.COM> dutler@ihuxz.ATT.COM (Dutler) writes:

>I have been using a Rainbow for 4 years now and I have a mix of double
>and quad density disks. The quad disks I purchase before the formatter
>was available for the Rainbow. The formatter came out for the Rainbow
>in version 2.05 and later of MS-DOS. I now only purchase double sided
>double density disks and have had no problems at all. The only disk

I have a feeling you're wasting your money. All of the Ranbows
we have here (100A, 100B, 100+) use DEC drives which are
SINGLE-side quad density. If you want to risk using double
density it's your decision, but SSDD disks are somwhat cheaper
and should work exactly as well.

--
bill davidsen			sixhub \
      ihnp4!seismo!rochester!steinmetz ->  crdos1!davidsen