[comp.sys.misc] What's the NEC V-30 all about?

todd@uhccux.UUCP (03/08/87)

In article <5074@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU> moore@eddie.MIT.EDU (Andrew M. Moore) writes:
>   Also, what's the story with the Multi-Speed's memory?  Specs say
>that it has 512K Pseudo SRAM, and 128K static RAM.  What's Pseudo RAM?
>Is this the same as having 640K of -contiguous- RAM, or does the Multi-
>Speed still have only 512K of accessible contiguous RAM?

Here is the story.  The NEC MultiSpeed comes with 640K RAM.  The first
512K is standard dynamic RAM.  The top 128K, however, is static RAM
that has it's own battery (separate from the NiCad that powers the
computer itself) that is used to hold system configuration information
and as a battery backed RAM disk.  The static RAM batteries can retain
memory up to seven days after a full main unit discharge (sitting on
the shelf with a dead NiCad).  If you want, you can use all 640K RAM
for program space.  I've found it pretty handy to have a battery backed
RAM Disk of about 60K in size (the rest of the 128K I use for the firmware
work space)...todd

--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii Computing Center
UUCP:		{ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!nosc!uhccux!todd