[comp.sys.misc] Compiling within Epsilon

KRULWICH@c.cs.cmu.edu (03/24/87)

I am having a problem compiling within a process in Epsilon 3.1.  What I am
doing is this:

	1- setting up a process and running MAKE
	2- MAKE calls a GCL batch file while compiles files for the
	   graphics package I am using.
	3- GCP calls MSC, the standard compiler program
	4- MSC tries to call C1.EXE, the first pass of the microsoft
	   compiler, but bombs out.  i get the error

		COMMAND LINE FATAL ERROR 19: COULD NOT EXECUTE 'C1.EXE'

When I run MAKE from DOS it works fine.  It seems that there is a limit to the
number of subprocess calls in DOS.  I'd really like to do all this from within
Epsilon -- does anyone know a way to fix the problem I'm having??  Thanks in
advance for any help I get.

Bruce Krulwich				If you're right 95% of the time,
Carnegie Mellon University		why worry about the other 3% ??

arpa:   krulwich@c.cs.cmu.edu		Any former B-CC'ers out there??
bitnet: krulwich@c.cs.cmu.edu
uucp: ... !seismo!krulwich@c.cs.cmu.edu

hacherl@uw-june.UUCP (03/26/87)

In article <5488@brl-adm.ARPA> KRULWICH@c.cs.cmu.edu (Bruce Krulwich) writes:

>I am having a problem compiling within a process in Epsilon 3.1.  What I am
>doing is this:
>			:
>	[running MSC from within make]
>			:
>		COMMAND LINE FATAL ERROR 19: COULD NOT EXECUTE 'C1.EXE'
>
>When I run MAKE from DOS it works fine.

It looks like the compilation process has run out of memory.  By default
Epsilon reserves only 190k for a sub-process, which isn't enough to load
make and a compiler.  You can increase the amount of process memory via
the -m switch on the command line when you invoke Epsilon.  I've found
that -m400000 will let almost anything compile, but your mileage may vary.

Don Hacherl
...uw-beaver!uw-june!hacherl