[comp.sys.misc] Query about ADC mocem from DAK

WAGREICH@g.bbn.com (03/28/87)

This  1200  baud,  Hayes compatible modem is selling for $129 (on
sale from $169) from DAK INdustries.

Has anyone used this modem?  How reliable and long-lasting is it?
Can  it  be  serviced?  In short, is this modem recommended as an
alternative to the Haves Smartmodem 1200?:

Has anyone used this modem (ADC modem) with a Mac 512 and does it
work well?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

scott@hpcvck.UUCP (03/30/87)

About the ADC modem...

I bought an ADC modem about a year and a half ago.  It worked fine for
about a month, then it kind of died.  300 baud still worked, but not
1200 baud.  I sent it back, and they fixed it for free (1 year
warranty).  I then used it for over a year without any problems.  Just
a few days ago I used it again, and it didn't work!  Again, it would not
answer back to the modem on the other end, but both at 300/1200 baud.
The modem has a transformer inside, so it gets hot.  I reseated all the
ICs, with no luck.  After leaving it unplugged a day I tried it again,
and it worked without any problems.  I suspect that some of the parts
are heat sensitive.

I don't know if these problems are inherent in all ADC modems, but it
is kind of questionable that my modem has exhibited two problems like
this...

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (04/01/87)

In article <4560001@hpcvck.HP> scott@hpcvck.HP (Scott Linn) writes:
>About the ADC modem...
>I suspect that some of the parts are heat sensitive.
>I don't know if these problems are inherent in all ADC modems, but it
>is kind of questionable that my modem has exhibited two problems like
>this...

  I've had mine for nearly 18 months, and have had no problems.  I've
only had it in use for periods of a few hours at most, though.