[comp.sys.misc] 132 col telecomm software?

kdale@bbncc-eur.arpa (05/11/87)

Does anyone know of any telecommunications software that supports  132  columns
*on  screen*  (as  opposed  to  80  columns on screen with the other 52 columns
scrolled off to the right) for a Zenith Z-248?  The Z-248 in question has  just
the  standard  CGA adapter and amber monitor - not EGA.  Ideally, no additional
hardware would be necessary.  The quality of the 132 col display  doesn't  have
to be wonderful, just readable for infrequent but specialized applications.

Thanks!

Keith <kdale@bbncc-eur.arpa>

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (05/15/87)

Have you figured out how many pixels you'll have per character on
a 132 column display?  With a standard CGA, assuming you leave
one pixel between characters, you'll have 3 pixel wide characters.
It's hard to see how anybody would ever call that readable.

			Mike Berger
			Center for Advanced Study
			University of Illinois

			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger

prindle@nadc.arpa (05/19/87)

Several years ago, I developed a 3 pixel wide font that, all things considered,
is much more readable than I ever thought it would be.  If anyone is interested,
I can mail it.  Moral: If it seems impossible, it's worth a try.  Challenge: a
2 pixel wide font!
Frank Prindle
Prindle@NADC.arpa

bobmon@iuvax.UUCP (Che' Flamingo) (05/22/87)

prindle@nadc.arpa writes:
>	[...]	Challenge: a 2 pixel wide font!
>Frank Prindle
>Prindle@NADC.arpa

Hm... well, assuming true black and white, i.e. 1 bit per pixel, and 96
displayable ASCII characters (decimal 32 through decimal 127), I conclude that
a character in your font will have to be 24 pixels high simply to allow for
enough distinct patterns (forget about attaractiveness, or even similarity to
normal letters (except SPACE; that should look just about the same :-) ).
Allow one row of pixels per line to separate rows of characters; this turns
out to be "free".  Result:  a 640x400 display window will only accept 16 rows
of characters.  Of course, with one pixel of horizontal separation, you can
still get 213 characters per row.

Somehow, I don't think this is the real frontier of display technology...

cds@atelabs.UUCP (05/27/87)

In article <4293@iuvax.UUCP> bobmon@iuvax.UUCP (Che' Flamingo) writes:
>prindle@nadc.arpa writes:
>>	[...]	Challenge: a 2 pixel wide font!
>Hm... well, assuming true black and white, i.e. 1 bit per pixel, and 96
>displayable ASCII characters (decimal 32 through decimal 127), I conclude that
>a character in your font will have to be 24 pixels high

I don't know how you came up with a 2 by 24 matrix as the minimum size for 96
distinct patterns (forgetting about attractiveness) but I think I could do a
lot better.  In fact I'll bet I can get 128 distinct patterns in a 1 by 7
matrix.  I'll bet you can too.
--
Dave Shanks                     ..!tektronix!tessi!atelabs!cds
AT&E Laboratories               cds@atelabs.UUCP

bobmon@iuvax.UUCP (05/28/87)

cds@atelabs.UUCP (David Shanks) points out:
-I blather:
-
-I don't know how you came up with a 2 by 24 matrix as the minimum size for 96
-distinct patterns (forgetting about attractiveness) but I think I could do a
-lot better.  In fact I'll bet I can get 128 distinct patterns in a 1 by 7
-matrix.  I'll bet you can too.

Well, I know how I came up with that, but I'm not ABOUT to admit it now!  It
was past my bedtime when I scribbled this, and my brain had already retired.
Thanks for a little rationality, David.  However, this doesn't mean I want to
read a 1 by 7 font, or even 2 by 24...