[comp.sys.misc] BBS project !!

PERRY%nuhub.acs.northeastern.edu@RELAY.CS.NET (07/28/87)

pP--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        PKpPATTENTION BBS USERS, PROGRAMMERS !!!

          BBS USERS:

                I'm now in  the process of  doing research and  starting to
          develop a  ShareWare BBS  program. The  goal of  my project is to
          build the "Ultimate" BBS! Now  is your chance to give  your input
          into this project! I want to hear your ideas! What complaints  to
          you have about the BBSes you  call? What do you like about  them?
          What don't you like about these systems? You have some ideas  for
          features? Great!  Don't limit  yourself. Please  let me  know (no
          matter how exotic or complex the idea!) Please mail me any ideas,
          questions, or comments at  the address below. Thanks  again. Your
          comments and ideas are sought and greatly appreciated!

                        THANKS!!

                           -------------------------------

          PROGRAMMERS:

                I need YOUR HELP NOW! I'm writing a ShareWare BBS  program.
          My goal is  to create the  "Ultimate" BBS: A  BBS with many  fea-
          tures, that is easy  to use, easy to  maintain, and that is  very
          flexible. I am requesting opinions of users of BBSes (as you  can
          see above) and will try to  take them into account. I know  some-
          thing about communications and programming but I can use all  the
          help I can get on  this large undertaking. Any information  about
          modems, communication routines,  questions, or comments  would be
          greatly appreciated. (See below for my Address) I know BASIC  and
          Turbo Pascal. Would C be a  better language to use for this?  (It
          would be nice if I could make this BBS run on as many machines as
          possible) Any comments, questions, suggestions (including  source
          code), or requests to  be involved will be  greatly appreciated!!
          (See below for my Address)

                        THANKS!!

USnail: Jeffrey F. Perry               NOTE: Please send responses directly to
        67 Angelica Drive                    me. (I don't read this list)
        Framingham, Ma 10701

ARPANET: PERRY%NUHUB.ACS.NORTHEASTERN.EDU@RELAY.CS.NET

aad+@andrew.cmu.edu (Anthony A. Datri) (07/29/87)

Are you still in high school or what?  You know basic and turbo.  While basic
has its uses, it's obviously not the language to write a bbs in, and turbo
isn't the language to write *anything* in.  Have you ever heard of things
like Fido and Opus?  You're gonna have to write a damn good product to
compete with them.

ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (07/29/87)

In article <sV3T6Ay00WAKMUc1En@andrew.cmu.edu> aad+@andrew.cmu.edu (Anthony A. Datri) writes:
>...  Have you ever heard of things
>like Fido and Opus?  You're gonna have to write a damn good product to
>compete with them.

Note that the goal wasn't competition, but quality.
Most BBSes are woefully inadequate in the user interface area, so something
that was compatible with the Fido/Opus/Echomail message exchange protocols
but capable of doing nifty graphics and avoiding needless retransmissions
when sending to user with a real computer rather than a terminal will
be very popular.

--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.

Internet: ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412)268-{2847,3275} CMU-{BUGS,DARK}
Amateur Packet Radio: N3FGW@W2XO, or c/o W3VC, CMU Radio Club, Pittsburgh, PA

oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (07/31/87)

Speaking of needless re-transmission, when will BBS systems realize
that I've got a computer, with a disk, and I've called this BBS
before. My home computer is perfectly capable for remembering not only
the menus for the BBS but also which messages I have seen and all of
the directories I've listed.  All the BBS has to do is ask my home
computer if it already has a current XX, and if it does show it to me.
If it doesn't, it should send it to my home computer, which in turn
will show it to me.

With a proper asynchronous BBS front-end running in my home machine, a
lot of this could be happen while I was still reading the menus and
deciding what to do.

the following protocol:
1.) check to see is the user is using a computer, (not a terminal)
2.) ask for a the root of a tree checksum from the last session
3.) if the root checksum doesn't match, recursively ask for sub-tree
checksums.

Many Macintosh programs allow added new, custom code segments to
themselves, even after they are compiled. You can add a new data type
picker an editor to ResEdit, you can add a new digital filter to
SoundWave. We are beginning to see commercial programs with a "Custom"
menu, that shows the names of all the custom code resources the
program has had added to it.  (These resources get called with a
topmost window belonging to the application with a published data
structure.) What we need is a terminal program that would let me plug
many custom resources in, a different intelligent interface for each
different BBS. That way, I need buy only one terminal program, and
developers of the custom code resoureces for the BBSs would only have
to worry about the details of the BBS: the details of modem control,
serial port programming... would al be services provided by the
terminal program. That way I could plug new terminal emulators into my
terminal program without having to replace it: I've got ansi, but I
need a data general emulator, no problem, just paste this in here.

--- David Phillip Oster            --My Good News: "I'm a perfectionist."
Arpa: oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu --My Bad News: "I don't charge by the hour."
Uucp: {seismo,decvax,...}!ucbvax!oster%dewey.soe.berkeley.edu

mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (07/31/87)

ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) writes:

> Note that the goal wasn't competition, but quality.
> Most BBSes are woefully inadequate in the user interface area, so something
> that was compatible with the Fido/Opus/Echomail message exchange protocols
> but capable of doing nifty graphics and avoiding needless retransmissions
> when sending to user with a real computer rather than a terminal will
> be very popular.

Opus does provide full IBM ANSI support, so that people using IBM PC's
or suitable software (I have a program for my Amiga that suitably
displays PC color ANSI) will get various video attributes on their
display (color or bold/underline/inverse on a monochrome display).
The major failing of Opus is that it does not use a curses library and
understands only how to talk IBM ANSI.

Opus is a very full-featured BBS package, and is the result of a lot
of work.  It would be very difficult to produce a package of the same
caliber.  My biggest suggestions for a BBS package are the following:

	* Provide some sort of termcap/curses support so that various
	  types of terminals/PCs can be accomodated.

	* Opus has a number of file transfer protocols built in, with
	  ten slots for external protocol drivers accessible (Kermit
	  is an external protocol in Opus).  You may want to have this
	  capability in your BBS.

	* Mail between BBS users and message bases should be two
	  separate entities.  One of my nits about Opus (and nearly
	  every other BBS package) is that it places mail between
	  users in the message groups themselves, so that you can see
	  message 35, but not 36 through 45 because they are private
	  mail (as an example).

	* Providing the capability to run external programs is a good
	  idea.  You could set up the main menu so that it can run
	  either a pre-defined function built into the BBS software or
	  an external program.

	* You could offer the users a choice between menu-oriented
	  control or a command interpreter.

There are others, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

--

Mike Portuesi / Carnegie-Mellon University Computer Science Department
ARPA:	mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu	UUCP: {backbone-site}!spice.cs.cmu.edu!mjp

"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now...only much, much better"
			--Laurie Anderson, "Lanugage is a Virus"

mh@killer.UUCP (Mike Hobgood) (07/31/87)

Why make it shareware?  Why not public domain or just plain old copyright?
I personally dislike all shareware authors.  They usually have 2K of text
begging for money every time you run the program.  If this is your intent
I'd rather you didn't!