[comp.sys.misc] Computer Books: Where to Get Them

rre@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Velveteen Rabbit Corps) (08/18/87)

Hi, y'all.

It's question time again, so everyone put on their thinking caps.

Mail order houses in computer magazines do a good job of finding a cheap(er)
outlet for software, but I have a difficult time finding good computer books.
Most of the ones I find are beginner-rated, and very few offer any advanced
or theoretical concepts.

The only bookstore that sells decent computer books is B. Dalton in downtown
Chicago, but their Apple // section (this is before GS, and won't help me
post-GS either) is minimal; again, mostly beginner stuff.  They don't have
much theory; their "general" books usuall deal with a specific compiler
or computer ("AI Using Turbo Prolog"). Their big with IBM and MAc and Amiga,
but not Apple //.

So, does anyone know of any mail order bookstores? OR where I can get a catalog
of computer literature on the market?  Theory books? Etc?

Thanks,
Roger Espinosa

--
		Roger R. Espinosa
		Live from the Rabbit Ranch

WMartin@SIMTEL20.arpa (William G. Martin) (08/19/87)

You can get a free telephone-book-size catalog of scientific and
technical books from Omega (the people that peddle thermocouples and
temperature-measuring devices and have a card in seemingly every pack
of information-cards you get in the mail; for some reason they have just
expanded into the bookselling business this year). This includes a section
of computer and data processing books. Call 1-800-222-BOOK [(203)359-1660 in
Connecticut] for a qualification form to get this free, or just write on
your letterhead to Book of Books, Inc.
                   One Omega Drive   [Don't you find these kinds of addresses
                   PO Box 2349        silly and pretentious?  I do... :-]
                   Stamford, CT 06906

(They may send it free just if you ask for it on the phone, but the book does
say that extra copies cost $45 each [!] so maybe they won't.)

Here are other mail-order book sources:

Telecom Library 1-800-LIBRARY or (212)-691-8215: Emphasizes telecom, data
comm, and suchlike publications.

Ulrich's Books: This is the UofMich area big bookstore; the catalog I
have is general technical, including computer science & DP.
Ulrich's Books
549 East University Ave.
PO Box 8607
Ann Arbor, Michigan  48107-8607   (313) 662-3201

Uni-Ops Books: UNIX-oriented stuff and C, mostly

Uni-Ops Books
19995 Mountain View Road
Boonville, CA  95415-0650     (707) 895-2050

Hope these are of help. By the way, I couldn't reply to the original
inquirer directly, so I hope he sees this posting!

Regards,
Will Martin
-------

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (08/20/87)

Try the Apple Programmer and Developer's Association (APDA).  They attempt
to carry a HUGE number of Apple specific as well as general books on
computers (and Macs of course).  Their prices are not a MAJOR benefit, but
they are often a bit below list price.
--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (08/20/87)

In article <3676@ihlpg.ATT.COM> rre@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Velveteen Rabbit Corps) writes:

>Hi, y'all.
>
>It's question time again, so everyone put on their thinking caps.
>
>So, does anyone know of any mail order bookstores? OR where I can get a catalog
>of computer literature on the market?  Theory books? Etc?
>
>Thanks,
>Roger Espinosa

Well, at this point, about 90% of my book shave come from B. Daltons.
It took me a long time to build up a collection, and I go to evey one I
get a chance to go to, either in Iowa, Oregon, or New York.  So far, I
now believe that it is better to write to the publisher for a list of
books with Apple // as a topic.  As far as I know, the two best sources
are SAMS, and Penguin Books.  There is also the Balcksburg Continuing
education series.

Other than that, I try to go to non-chain stores, like a place called
Powell's Books here in Portland.  THe deal in used books, and they
sometime have interesting stuff.

If anyone wants an address, I think I could scroung one up.  Or just go
to the store and pull it off a book.

Sean Kamath
--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET:  reed!kamath@Berkeley.BITNET