[comp.sys.misc] Software Reccomendations

tab%cf10.uci.edu@ROME.UCI.EDU (09/01/87)

In article <4948@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (My watch has windows) writes:
> In article <9075@brl-adm.ARPA> tab%cf10.uci.edu@ROME.UCI.EDU (Tracey A. Baker) writes:
> <  I'm going to be setting up two or three Mac SE's for a small
> <business, and I need some software reccomendations (last time I
> <shopped for PC software, it was dBase II).
> <  Here's what we need:
>
> Unless there's something you're not telling us (a good possibility),
> you're going about this the wrong way.
>
> You should find the software that best meets your primary needs, then
> buy hardware that it will run on. Of course, if you're trying to meet
> a diverse set of needs, this could get painfull.

Sorry. Maybe I should have told the whole story...
  My fiance just accepted a job with a smallish stage lighting company
that needs someone to run their design/manufacturing area.  He worked
for the company for about 5 years before moving to California.  Thus the
owner of the company is a friend as well as an employer.  Knowing
NOTHING about computers, this guy went to a computer store and bought
a Mac SE and Microsoft Works, probably because of a recommendation from
a salesman.  I do not fault him for this, as he probably wanted something
easy to use (the Mac), and some business software to get started with (Works).
He has neither the time nor the money to research every possible machine
and piece of software to figure out what's best (that's why I'm doing it).
  Since we're moving back east and my fiance will be working there, I offered
to set up the computers, do some programming, and generally get them
going for a very low fee.  This guy is a friend of ours as well as an
employer, and I'm doing this out of friendship as well as for the money.
  I can't just say, "OK, you'll need $5000 in software and $15,000 for
IBM PC's, and you'll have to throw away that computer you just bought
because it won't run the best software for your needs."  We don't have
an unlimited budget here, and a statement like this would probably have
very negative effect on my job, my fiance's job, and our friendship with
this guy.

> I'd suggest starting over with that in mind, if possible. If not, a
> brief lecture to whoever bought machines without making sure they had
> good software is in order. Unless what you're looking for is the
> secondary stuff, and it's already know the Macs will handle your
> primary need.

  Have you ever tried to do a job like this?  I mean with a limited budget
and with people whose only experience with computers is playing video
games at the local arcade?  It's not easy.  You can't just say "OK, this
is what you need and it will cost $20,000."  They want explanations of WHY
they need it.  And not technical explanations, or even "because it's the best
thing".  They're interested in the $$.  You have to convince them that
what they're spending the $20,000 for is really worth that much to the company.

  Sorry for the flames, but I asked a (relatively) simple question, and I
really don't need people telling me I'm stupid and I don't know how
to do my job.  No, I don't have a lot of experience with micros,
but I do have experience with making the best of a less-than-perfect
situation.  Yelling at the people responsible for the situation is
rarely productive, especially when they're signing your paycheck.  Telling
them what they SHOULD have done is just as unproductive.  They don't
care what SHOULD have been done, they just want to know what to do next (and
throwing away what they've already done is NOT an option).

  I am very grateful to the people who have sent me information.  I
know my request was a little vague, but I'm just trying to get an idea
of what's out there.  I've read quite a few magazine reviews and articles,
but I've always found that personal experience is much more helpful.

> 	<mike
> --
> We are sorry, but this signature server is temporarily out of order.

---------
Tracey A. Baker                          |"There ain't no cure when the rabid
Dept. of Information & Computer Science  |      rock dog bites" -Split Sydney
University of California, Irvine         |Disclaimer:
Irvine, CA 92717   Phone: (714)856-4034  |These opinions are my own, etc., etc.
ARPA: tab@ics.uci.edu                    |UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucivax!tab