[comp.sys.misc] Which Computer?

jshaver@apg-5.arpa (STEEP-TMAC 879-7602) (09/01/87)

A friend's son is going off to engineering college this fall.  Should he
buy a Macintosh or an Ibm-like one?

Gerald_Bodzin.henr801E@Xerox.COM (09/02/87)

Your question is the wrong one to ask.   First you must determine what
the student will be using the computer for.  Then you prioritize the
uses and determine the best program(s) for each use.  Then you find
which computer will cover your needs best.  If you can afford it, you
buy.

The needs of an art major will differ from the needs of a physics major.
All students can use a word processor.  Other programs/features depend
on the course of study.  These include spreadsheets, data base,
graphics, communications,  and many others.

There may also be considerations relating to the 'footprint' of the
machine, its portability, its compatibility with other computer
resources at the school, price, and the machine's future (Is the machine
to be used after graduation?)

To predetermine that the choice is limited to Mac or Clone is skipping
too many steps.  If you have overriding considerations forcing the
limited choice, however,  answer the questions anyway, and ignore
anything except the two finalists.  Then you will know that you made the
best choice.

No-one but the user can answer these questions.

lmurray@wdl1.UUCP (Lance Murray) (09/02/87)

Buy him a Mac. He will be able to develop most programs on this system, while
still able to use the machine for developing first rate reports. The Mac
will also allow him to develop an object-oriented approach to problems.
I hope this helps out.

		Lance-

mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) (09/04/87)

In article <4230001@wdl1.UUCP> lmurray@wdl1.UUCP (Lance Murray) writes:
<Buy him a Mac. He will be able to develop most programs on this system, while
<still able to use the machine for developing first rate reports.

Unless the student in question is going to be an engineer of a flavor
that uses lots of FORTRAN, in which case an IBM-PC clone with a
compiler that support an 80*87 would be more appropriate.

No matter how much the fanatics may want to think so, there is no one
computer that is appropriate for all uses, or even all uses for which
a pc is suitable.

You can buy a pc running a Unix clone in a windowing environment for
less than $1000. There are cases where this would be far more
appropriate than a Mac or an IBM-PC.

You can buy a pc running a multi-tasking OS that support lightweight
tasks and message passing, among other features that Unix doesn't
readily support. There are cases where this might be more appropriate.

I'll agree that for most students, the Mac would probably be a good
choice. For mathematics - or any field where almost all the work will
consist of highly technical work - an IBM PC and TeX would probably be
nearly as useful, and cost much less than a Mac and TeX.

Unless you know a lot more than is usually available from such
requests on the net, a blanket "Buy an XX brand computer" is usually
bad advice.

	<mike
--
When logic and proportion have fallen soggy dead,	Mike Meyer
And the white knight is talking backwards,		mwm@berkeley.edu

gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (09/04/87)

But you said your friend's son was going off to engineering school
this fall.  Maybe he should wait until he gets to school, and then see
what's in use at that school?  If he's at an engineering school, they
might have many IBM PCs in *his* department.

As a professional programmer, I would personally buy a Macintosh
because the operating system software is much better.  The difference
is like buying a $600 racing bike, versus a $70 heavy Huffy "American"
bike.  You can retrofit the Huffy American (IBM PC) with lighter &
better parts (expensive software), but you'll always be stuck with a
sluggish frame that's a piece of junk (MS-DOS).  Simpler parts
(cheaper software) suffice to get an enjoyable ride out of the racing
bike's frame (Mac's Quickdraw) -- which will almost always be a joy to
ride.

In fact, I would guess that Macintosh programs are generally easier to
use and cheaper to buy, because the Mac's QuickDraw/OS gives
programmers a "head start" at developing software.

Many interesting things are happening in the IBM PC market right now.
The original 8088 PCs are (thankfully) technologically dead -- they're
not worth the metal they're made of.  80286 (PC-AT) machines are the
standard PCs right now, and clones are being heavily discounted.
Almost all Macs sold today can be expanded with a large display, many
megabytes of memory (PCs can't do this), Hard Disk, and supercharging
68020 boards.  Mac hardware has never been more tempting.

woan@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (09/08/87)

In article <77800008@uiucdcsp> gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

If he's at an engineering school, they
might have many IBM PCs in *his* department.

>As a professional programmer, I would personally buy a Macintosh
>because the operating system software is much better.
>standard PCs right now, and clones are being heavily discounted.
>Almost all Macs sold today can be expanded with a large display, many
>megabytes of memory (PCs can't do this), Hard Disk, and supercharging
>68020 boards.  Mac hardware has never been more tempting.

As a student at a major engineering school with an original IBM-AT I
would have to differ with this assessment. MSDOS is a wonderful operating
system that closely resembles UNIX. 32-bit processor boards are now
available at relatively low costs. Using one from Definicon, you can run
Autocad (the leader in CAD software) at speeds faster than top-of-the-line
Sun workstations. You must also consider the wide availability of public
domain software and compilers for IBM's. How many LISP, ADA, or even good
Fortran compilers do you see for the MAC.

Again, I must agree the point is moot if the college is all using Macintoshes.
The most important thing is to be able to run the programs used for the classes.

Also if you have the bucks, why not go for  '386 system, i.e. one with no
wait states and a '387 coprocessor; that way you can knock the socks off
of just about anything. Just look at the benchmarks in Byte.

*********************************************************************************                      ramblings of a student in poverty                           *
		       donations to be sent to woan@cory.berkeley.edu

plutchak@vms.macc.wisc.edu (09/08/87)

In article <77800008@uiucdcsp> gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>As a professional programmer, I would personally buy a [Brand X]
>because the operating system software is much better.  The difference
>is like buying a $600 racing bike, versus a $70 heavy Huffy "American"
>bike.  ...Simpler parts (cheaper software) suffice to get an enjoyable ride
>out of the racing bike's frame-- which will almost always be a joy to ride.

  Then again, why buy a racehorse when all you need to do is plow a field?
I just *love* analogies!

P.S.  Ever try winter commuting on a racing bike? :-)
--
  Joel Plutchak

  Arpanet: plutchak@vms.macc.wisc.edu
  Bitnet:  plutchak@WISCMACC
  uucp: Who knows-- it's Eunice 4.2; try ...ihnp4!uwvax!uwwircs!plutchak

steve@nuchat.UUCP (09/11/87)

In article <3625@zen.berkeley.edu>, woan@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Ronald S. Woan) writes:
> As a student at a major engineering school with an original IBM-AT I
> would have to differ with this assessment. MSDOS is a wonderful operating
> system that closely resembles UNIX. 32-bit processor boards are now

Come on folks, leaving the smileys off a statement like this might cause
someone to take it seriously for a moment, and then you'd be all
burnt to a crispy little cinder.
--
Steve Nuchia			Of course I'm respectable!  I'm old!
{soma,academ}!uhnix1		Politicians, ugly buildings, and whores