[comp.sys.misc] Microprocessors

In article <1818@epiwrl.EPI.COM> parker@epiwrl.EPI.COM (Alan Parker) writes:
>In article <2530@calmasd.GE.COM> jnp@calmasd.GE.COM (John Pantone) writes:
>>(Tom Hoff) writes:
>>When the IBM PC was being designed the Intel 8088/6 was already available in
>>trial quantities - it was available in production quantities before the PC
>>hit the streets.  Motorola's 68000 wasn't yet that far along at the time -
>>so it never was really a candidate.
>>
>Is that right?   I'm pretty sure that my lab had some Sun workstations
>(first model) before IBM PCs hit the street.   I could be wrong.

I don't know about Sun's, but a company I worked for in the 81-82
timeframe chose an 8086 over a 68000 because the former had support
chips like Multibus arbiter chips. Availability of ther *cpu* was
never an issue however.

--
Richard J. Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

"It's too dark to put the keys in my ignition..."