Date: Wed 16 Apr 1986 11:34:16 EST
From: <PLEZ@LL.ARPA>
Subject: Rainbow Graphics

Your problem is not as straightforward as it sounds. If you really want to
make Kermit change colors on the Rainbow, you'll have to completely
rewrite all the console drivers -- and then, it might be too slow to keep
up with Kermit at 9600 baud. I can give you a better explanation of this
if you want it. At any rate, the routines you want DO exist, and
they are in the public domain. A large package was written by some DEC
people in England that allowed you to manipulate the graphics board
using Computer Innovations C compiler. I ported it to Microsoft C (3.0).
at the Fido board at (617) 787-3033. It's a large ARC'ed file whosw
name I forget (but  it is obvious). good luck. . .   Dan PLeasant

------------------------------

Date: 17 Apr 86 11:20:50 PST (Thursday)
Subject: Re: Rainbow graphics
From: Wax.OsbuSouth@Xerox.COM

I have done it myself in the past for another company.  However I cannot
disclose how to do it or face legal consequences.  However, I can
suggest reading the BIOS code carefully and getting the specs for a
REGIS controller {sort of a DEC version of a NEC 7221(?) Video control
chip}.

One more comment.  Programming it is a BITCH!!!!!!

Before you give up all hope too easily, let you remind you that it has
been done, by myself, BUT it did take alot of work.

One more hint to help you; DEC can give you some source listings that
make life alot easier.  You may have the status to do it.

Allan Wax
ARPA: Wax.OsbuSouth@Xerox.COM

The opinions expressed in this message are entirely my own and do not
represent my current or former company.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Apr 86 08:05 EST
From: CJFMW3%IRISHMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: DEC Rainbow attributes

Frank,
Regarding the DEC Rainbow attributes.
In the RAINBOW 100 PC100 System Specification, (AA-P308A-TV), on
page 92, SYSTEM PARAMETER INFORMATION (Section 14.0), there is
a list of flags used internally located at EF00:FFE to fetch
system parameters.  This documentation was for the DEC 100 running
CP/M-80/86. I don't have the graphics option to test.  It may be
the same for the newer 100A,100B, and 180. There is a lot of
room for expansion in the table.

Address EF00:FFE
   Bit  0: 0-Console mode    1-Terminal mode
   Bit  1: 0-Off line        1-On line
   Bit  2: 0-Normal          1-In Setup Mode
   Bit  3: 0-Normal          1-Hold Screen in effect
   Bit  4: 0-Normal          1-Smooth scroll
   Bit  5: Reserved
   Bit  6: Reserved
   Bit  7: Reserved
   Bit  8: 0-Option present  1-Bundle Card option not present
   Bit  9: 0-Floppy present  1-Floppy not present
   Bit 10: 0-Graphics option 1-No graphics option
   Bit 11: 0-Memory Option   1-No memory Option
   Bit 12: Reserved
   Bit 13: Reserved
   Bit 14: Reserved
   Bit 15: Reserved

I hope this is information is useful, if nothing else,
possibly pointing to the correct current publication.
Thanks for KERMIT!!!

Clyde Dawson     CJFMW3@IrishMVS.BITNET        (219-239-5600)