[comp.sys.misc] Shareware + Pseudo-Shareware

smith@nrl-aic.arpa (Russ Smith) (01/28/88)

[Note that this is being sent to the generic ARPANET "info-micro" list. Those
sites receiving this as some dedicated machine news-list are forewarned.]

I had to put in my two cents worth at this point. Sorry.

I use a number of packages on my Amiga that I've either downloaded
and/or received through disks. I don't think any of the ones I use
*regularly* have any sort of $ mentioned. But if they did...:

(1) Those programs that say anything similar to "Pay up if you
    use this program" either have their messages ignored or go unused.
    If an author knowingly distributes his/her software through what
    someone here has called "freeware channels", they knowingly
    acknowledge that many will NOT pay for the software AND implicitly
    condone it. Those that insist on a message (rather than using the
    "standard" unobtrusive ABOUT menu item) definitely go unused.

(2) Those programs that say "Pay up if you use this program
    only if you want to, but it's okay if you don't" or
    equivalent earn a lotta respect for the programmer. I fully
    intend to distribute software I am writing in the same
    manner. In general, the software I write I write for me. If
    I can give it away and people will actually ACCEPT it, wow,
    big ego boost. If they want to send money too, zowie! [I'd be
    happy to send them an update disk, if any]. But if they don't,
    well, hey, I wrote it for me anyway.

(3) Those programs that are mum on the subject or actually say
    "Don't send money" (I downloaded at least one of these) see
    as much use as (2) above. I've distributed software this way, too.
    It's a fine way to go. Certainly the ONLY way that *most* "shareware"
    software out there SHOULD go. Charging, even as weakly as
    shareware does, for some of the crap I've seen borders on
    obscenity.

(4) Of course, there's also the paid-for commercial stuff. I
    intend to distribute software this way, too. I don't copy it
    and give it to a friend. I respect copyrights and abhore some of
    the ridiculous copy protection schemes (such as that STUPID rs232
    addon...) copyright violation brings about. By the way, some of the
    software I use, free software, works in a much
    BETTER/NONBUGGY/USER-FRIENDLY manner than some commercial
    packages I've seen.

Russ <Smith@nrl-aic.arpa>
of but in no way representing
JAYCOR
Navy Center for Applied Research in Artificial Intelligence (whew!)

caasnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Clifford Adams) (01/31/88)

In article <11511@brl-adm.ARPA> smith@nrl-aic.arpa (Russ Smith) writes:
>(2) Those programs that say "Pay up if you use this program
>    only if you want to, but it's okay if you don't" or
>    equivalent earn a lotta respect for the programmer. I fully
>    intend to distribute software I am writing in the same
>    manner. In general, the software I write I write for me. If
>    I can give it away and people will actually ACCEPT it, wow,
>    big ego boost. If they want to send money too, zowie! [I'd be
>    happy to send them an update disk, if any]. But if they don't,
>    well, hey, I wrote it for me anyway.

	Exactly.

	Many people here on the net don't seem to realize that others
write programs because it is *fun* to do.  But it is nice to be
appreciated.  I can't imagine writing shareware to support myself, but
it would be nice to receive some payment for the usage.  Also, the
individual payments need not be large if there are many of them.  I
would much prefer getting 200 people to send a quarter each than for
20 people to each send $5.  But either way, the money will definitely
help me think of the user next time I am tempted to do something ugly
with the program.  Or am tempted to leave out documentation... Etc...

--
 Clifford Adams  ---  " I understand only inasmuch as I become... "
 ...{cmcl2, ihnp4}!lanl!unm-la!unmvax!nmtsun!caasnsr