[comp.sys.misc] Copyright Notice

In article <16964@think.UUCP> barmar@fafnir.think.com.UUCP (Barry Margolin) writes:
>In article <1771@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> amlovell@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Anthony M Lovell) writes:
>>In article <2608@gryphon.CTS.COM>, richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>>>
>>> This article (c) 1988 by Richard J. Sexton
>>> This article copyrighted by Richard J. Sexton
>>> This article Copyrighted (c) 1988 by Richard J. Sexton
>>> None of these are valid copyrights.
>>
>>Inclusion of (c) symbol is satisfactory with a date and name.
>>Middle one might not do, but other two certainly are legal copyright
>>notices.  Source : US form PA.
>
>I think you may have old information.  I'm pretty sure that last year
>"(c)" was declared invalid.  Or, since you are quoting a US form, that

Hopefully to finish up the dispute, this is lifted from Circular R1 --
Copyright Basics, published by the Copyright Office:

"The notice for visually perceptible copies should contain the following
three elements:

* The symbol --unprintable-- (The letter C in a cirle) [this symbol is
not ASCII so you can't se it here. MP], or the word "Copyright" or the
abbreviation "Copr."; and

* The year of first publication of the work. [...]; and

* The name of the owner of copyright in the work.

Example: Copyright 1981 John Doe

The "C in a circle" notice is only required on visually perceptible copies."

This and other publications are available for free from:

Copyright Office
Library of Congress
Washington, DC 20559

-- Marco