[comp.sys.misc] Is anyone shipping a 68030 UNIX box?

norm@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (02/13/88)

The subject line says it all. But I'll repeat it. Is anyone aware of a
68030 based UNIX system which is available now or in the near future?
--
Norman Soley - Data Communications Analyst - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
UUCP:	utzoo!lsuc!ncrcan!---\			VOICE:	+1 416 323 2623

jfh@killer.UUCP (The Beach Bum) (02/19/88)

In article <390@ontenv.UUCP> norm@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) writes:
>The subject line says it all. But I'll repeat it. Is anyone aware of a
>68030 based UNIX system which is available now or in the near future?
>--
>Norman Soley - Data Communications Analyst - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
>UUCP:	utzoo!lsuc!ncrcan!---\			VOICE:	+1 416 323 2623
>	{utzoo,utgpu}!sickkids!ontenv!norm	ENVOY:	N.SOLEY
>	{mnetor,utgpu}!ontmoh/

A company here in Dallas has built several and they are available.  The
company is Logic Process Corp.  As far as I know, they had the only 030
at Uniforum this past week.  They claim a 25MHz system will be available
when the parts are, the current system is 16MHz.

- John.
--
John F. Haugh II                  SNAIL:  HECI Exploration Co. Inc.
UUCP: ...!ihnp4!killer!jfh                11910 Greenville Ave, Suite 600

exodus@uop.edu (G.Onufer) (02/20/88)

In article <390@ontenv.UUCP>, norm@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) writes:
> The subject line says it all. But I'll repeat it. Is anyone aware of a
> 68030 based UNIX system which is available now or in the near future?

Yes, Atari will be realeasing a 68030 based system running System V
Unix at the Hannover Fair in Germany before June.  Should be rathing
interesting to see how they price the beast, but if it works, I'll
be the first person on my block to get the power of a Sun-2/Sun-3
(average the two?) on my desk!!

G. Onufer

eric@hector.UUCP (Eric Lavitsky) (02/24/88)

In article <1094@uop.edu> exodus@uop.UUCP writes:
>In article <390@ontenv.UUCP>, norm@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) writes:
>> The subject line says it all. But I'll repeat it. Is anyone aware of a
>> 68030 based UNIX system which is available now or in the near future?
>

>Yes, Atari will be realeasing a 68030 based system running System V
>Unix at the Hannover Fair in Germany before June.  Should be rathing
>interesting to see how they price the beast, but if it works, I'll
>be the first person on my block to get the power of a Sun-2/Sun-3
>(average the two?) on my desk!!
>
>G. Onufer

Arrgh! - No, they Atari won't be releasing one at Hannover, they
will be showing a *prototype* privately to a select group of invitees.
This is far from "releasing one" ...

I'm sure everyone and their brother has a "prototype" ...

Eric

ARPA:	eric@topaz.rutgers.edu		 "Lithium is no longer available
UUCP:	...{wherever!}ulysses!eric	  on credit..."
	...{wherever!}rutgers!topaz!eric		- from Buckaroo Banzai
SNAIL:	34 Maplehurst Ln, Piscataway, NJ 08854

wayne@teemc.UUCP (//ichael R. //ayne) (02/26/88)

	Try Logic Process Corp in Dallas, TX (214) 340-5172.  They quote a
16 MHz 68030, 4Meg main memory, dual 68000 2Meg I/O processor, 8 serial port,
System V Unix, 108 Mb drive system at $10,500.  This machine (teemc) is a
LPC model 20 (16 MHz 68020, like above) purchased when they were selling them
for $4995.  I/O is quick (should be w/ 2 68000 and 2 Meg for caching.  That's
enough to store the last 3,000 disk accesses according to LPC!).  I feel that
I got a very good deal on the box, I only wish that they had a System V.3
release (but I think they are working on it).  They even have a dial up
available for people to try the machine out.

	If anyone else out there decides to pick up one of these (either
the 020 or the 030 versions), please get in touch with me.  We have a large
base of software ported to the box.

/\/\ \/\/
--
Michael R. Wayne      ---      TMC & Associates      ---      wayne@teemc.uucp
INTERNET: wayne%teemc.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu            uunet!umix!teemc!wayne

good@atari.UUCP (Roy Good) (02/27/88)

In article <1094@uop.edu>, exodus@uop.edu (G.Onufer) writes:
> In article <390@ontenv.UUCP>, norm@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) writes:
> > The subject line says it all. But I'll repeat it. Is anyone aware of a
> > 68030 based UNIX system which is available now or in the near future?
>
> Yes, Atari will be realeasing a 68030 based system running System V
> Unix at the Hannover Fair in Germany before June.  Should be rathing
> interesting to see how they price the beast, but if it works, I'll
> be the first person on my block to get the power of a Sun-2/Sun-3
> (average the two?) on my desk!!

Time out guys!! There's a lot of difference between RELEASING and PREVIEWING!
Atari does plan to preview a 68030/UNIX system at Hannover, but don't expect
it to ship in April!! We fully intend to make the product available with
a comprehensive set of supporting systems and application software, and that
doesn't happen overnight. Our protoype design is in good shape, and handling
UNIX well, but remember we are an international company and need to address
international market requirements.
As for pricing the beast: "Power without the Price" was never more apt!

Roy J. Good
Product Development, Atari Corporation

Views expressed are my own. Atari may agree or disagree; they have the right.

jimomura@lsuc.uucp (Jim Omura) (02/27/88)

     As I understand it, you can get a 68030 adapter card for the
QT-20X (68020 machine).  I know it has been run.  I wasn't interested
so I wasn't paying attention to whether you could order it.
This is from Frank Hogg Labs. and should be usable on other versions
of the Hazelwood Uniquad 68020 computer.

     There's also a VME / 68030 OS-9 system.  I haven't tried that
one myself either.

Cheers! -- Jim O.
--
Jim Omura, 2A King George's Drive, Toronto, (416) 652-3880
ihnp4!utzoo!lsuc!jimomura

Jinfu_Jinfu_Chen@cup.portal.com (02/29/88)

I don't remember if this is from press release or inside news
(I didn't sign any non-disclosure agreement though), Apollo
Computer, Inc. will have a 030 box out sometime in April for
its Domain family. You can contact Apollo at:

Apollo Computer Inc.,
330 Billerica Road
Chelmsford, MA 01852
(617)256-6600

Jinfu Chen
(I speak for myself, Motorola's paycheck doesn't cover my Atari
ST computer)

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (03/08/88)

in article <390@ontenv.UUCP>, norm@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) says:

> The subject line says it all. But I'll repeat it. Is anyone aware of a
> 68030 based UNIX system which is available now or in the near future?

One caveat here.  It's extremely simple to drop a 68030 into an existing
68020/68851 system, and there's a real good chance that the first few
68030 systems out the [collective electronics industry] door will be not
much more than that.  So watch out.  A plain 68030 in a 68020 system can
give you a bit more performance, but if it's designed in to take advantage
of more of the 68030's features, expect maybe double the performance of a
similarly equipped 68020 system.

--
Dave Haynie  "The B2000 Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {ihnp4|uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy

urjlew@ecsvax.UUCP (Rostyk Lewyckyj) (03/09/88)

In article <3434@cbmvax.UUCP>, daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
> in article <390@ontenv.UUCP>, norm@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) says:
>
> > The subject line says it all. But I'll repeat it. Is anyone aware of a
> > 68030 based UNIX system which is available now or in the near future?
>
> One caveat here.  It's extremely simple to drop a 68030 into an existing
> 68020/68851 system, and there's a real good chance that the first few
> 68030 systems out the [collective electronics industry] door will be not
> much more than that.  So watch out.  A plain 68030 in a 68020 system can
> give you a bit more performance, but if it's designed in to take advantage
> of more of the 68030's features, expect maybe double the performance of a
> similarly equipped 68020 system.
>
> --
> Dave Haynie  "The B2000 Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
> 		"I can't relax, 'cause I'm a Boinger!"

The Summary line just about says it all. With April 1, (the silly season),
so close upon us, I can't resist ;-). I think it's time for us to
start a thread on comp.sys.m68k and comp.sys.amiga on designing a
new Amiga [Ranger 3500, C3000] or some other catchy code name (C2001, C2010)?.
We can have fun now speculating on what we'd like to see, and maybe
by the time an M68050 is announced C= will announce a 68030 based
add on to their P40. ;-)

Actually for a while there was a serious discussion in, of all places,
The Computer Shopper, on a public domain design for an open MAC.
This was at a time when Jobs at Apple was insisting on a closed box
with 256-512K of memory. I think that this input did influence the
design of the MAC. They chose a standardized pd buss, SCSI disk
interface, provision for numeric coprocessor.

  You all may flame me if you wish for waste of precious net
  bandwidth. But I want expressly to emphacize that I am not in
  any way blaming Dave for the decisions at C=. The only connetion
  being that he works there and that set me off. Dave is a very
  helpfull person, with his technical explanations on comp.sys.amiga.

Inews and disclaimer requirements have now been fullfilled
             urjlew@ecsvax.UUCP ,  urjlew@tucc.bitnet
       or    urjlew@tucc.tucc.edu    (ARPA,SURA,NSF etc. internet)
       tel.  (919)-962-9107