[comp.sys.misc] Atari's 68030 UNIX

jjw@igloo.UUCP (John Welch) (02/24/88)

In article <1094@uop.edu> exodus@uop.edu (G.Onufer) writes:
>Yes, Atari will be realeasing a 68030 based system running System V
>Unix at the Hannover Fair in Germany before June.  Should be rathing

	Will this be real live UNIX, or is this Whitesmith's IDRIS?
I'm probably prejudiced, but I've had some very bad experiences with IDRIS and
68000 (version 2, maybe Whitesmith has improved it) and I for one would *not*
purchase this system if it was IDRIS.

  John Welch                             ..{codas,ihnp4}!ddsw1!igloo!jjw
  "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, de-briefed or
   numbered. My life is my own; I am a free man!" - #6

good@atari.UUCP (Roy Good) (02/27/88)

In article <410@igloo.UUCP>, jjw@igloo.UUCP (John Welch) writes:
> 	Will this be real live UNIX, or is this Whitesmith's IDRIS?

Yes, it is real live UNIX System V. This is going to be an "open" box.

And before we get anymore questions, anything you read in the press
regarding pricing and architecture is either preliminary or guesswork.
I personally don't like "vapor*", and believe in making one accurate
announcement rather lots of "probably"s. So watch this space!

Roy J. Good
Product Development, Atari Corporation

Views expressed are my own. Atari may agree or disagree; they have the right.

In article <998@atari.UUCP>, good@atari.UUCP (Roy Good) writes:
> In article <410@igloo.UUCP>, jjw@igloo.UUCP (John Welch) writes:
> > 	Will this be real live UNIX, or is this Whitesmith's IDRIS?

> Yes, it is real live UNIX System V. This is going to be an "open" box.

OK, will you be able to take it home, plug in a monitor or terminal,
and go with it... or is this latest incarnation of the much-rumored "TT"
machine, which is supposed to use an Atari ST as the front end?
--
-- Peter da Silva  `-_-'  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- Disclaimer: These U aren't mere opinions... these are *values*.