[comp.sys.misc] Using a Sun386i for DOS application development

robert@pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson) (05/14/88)

In article <10928@jade.BBN.COM>, mlandau@bbn.com (Matt Landau) writes:

> It would be a really nice software development environment, for other Suns
> or for PC's.  [The company I used to work for did PC development by using
> a VAX- or Pyramid-based cross-compiler.  It would have been nice to be
> able to use a Sun-based cross-compliler and test/debug the software right
> in another window.]

Can I use Sun's SunOS C compiler and compile to DOS format with a special
switch or so (like the Xenix C compiler)?

mlandau@bbn.com (Matt Landau) (05/15/88)

In comp.sys.misc (<228@pvab.UUCP>), robert@pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson) writes:
>Can I use Sun's SunOS C compiler and compile to DOS format with a special
>switch or so (like the Xenix C compiler)?

No, you can't use the SunOS 4.0 compiler to generate DOS executables.

However, there are several companies that do Sun-based cross-compiler
suites for this sort of thing.  There are reasonably current versions
of Lattice C and Microsoft C, as well as MASM, Microsoft's linker, and
Phoenix's linker available on Sun-3's, so it shouldn't be long before
they appear on the 386i.

[Before anyone asks, I think the Microsoft stuff is available from
 Oasys.  The Lattice and Phoenix versions were available directly
 from Lattice last time I checked.  Unipress also sold them at one
 point, but I don't know if that's still true.]
--
 Matt Landau		    The happiest cold and lonely guy
 mlandau@bbn.com	          stuck in the Yukon without a dog.