[comp.sys.misc] Packard Bell Clones

steep-mo@HUACHUCA-EM.ARPA (Frank Bateman USAEPG Ft Huachuca Arizona AV879-7602/6016 602-538-7602/6016) (05/09/88)

Anyone out there have any info on the quality, relaibility, degree of
"cloneness" of the Packard Bell PCs?  The DAK Catalog is offering the
Packard Bell AT Clone for $1999.00, plus the Price CLub is now selling
the PC and AT Clones.  The prices look really good, so I'm interested
in feedback from anyone who has any knowledge of, or experience with,
them.

Thanks in advance,

Frank Bateman

haynes@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (99700000) (05/10/88)

In article <8805090905.aa07461@FHP2.HUACHUCA-EM.ARPA> steep-mo@HUACHUCA-EM.ARPA (Frank Bateman USAEPG Ft Huachuca Arizona AV879-7602/6016 602-538-7602/6016) writes:
>Anyone out there have any info on the quality, relaibility, degree of
>"cloneness" of the Packard Bell PCs?

Packard Bell is back in the computer business ! ? ! ?
I played with a Packard-Bell 250 in 1962, delay-line memories and all
that.
haynes@ucscc.ucsc.edu
haynes@ucscc.bitnet
..ucbvax!ucscc!haynes

hack@bellboy.UUCP (Greg Hackney) (05/11/88)

In article <8805090905.aa07461@FHP2.HUACHUCA-EM.ARPA> steep-mo@HUACHUCA-EM.ARPA.UUCP writes:
>Anyone out there have any info on the quality, relaibility, degree of
>"cloneness" of the Packard Bell PCs?  The DAK Catalog is offering the
>Packard Bell AT Clone for $1999.00
>Frank Bateman

That's way too much money. Must be a mistake. The Soft Warehouse has
the basic Packard Bell 286 for $999 and the Packard Bell 386 for $2195.
(w/o monitor and hard disk) For more info, 1+800-451-SOFT
--
Greg

zellich@ALMSA-1.ARPA (Rich Zellich) (05/12/88)

One reply to the querier about DAKs offering of the Packard Bell AT clone
for $1999:
>That's way too much money. Must be a mistake. The Soft Warehouse has
>the basic Packard Bell 286 for $999 and the Packard Bell 386 for $2195.
>(w/o monitor and hard disk) For more info, 1+800-451-SOFT

Not necessarily - the DAK offering is a complete system, with color monitor,
40MB hard drive, mouse, and more, and lots of bundled software (but the
hardware configuration alone seems like it should be worth the $2K price).

dfile@ecsvax.UUCP (Dean File) (05/13/88)

In article <1010@bellboy.UUCP>, hack@bellboy.UUCP (Greg Hackney) writes:
> In article <8805090905.aa07461@FHP2.HUACHUCA-EM.ARPA> steep-mo@HUACHUCA-EM.ARPA.UUCP writes:
> >Anyone out there have any info on the quality, relaibility, degree of
> >"cloneness" of the Packard Bell PCs?  The DAK Catalog is offering the
> >Packard Bell AT Clone for $1999.00
> >Frank Bateman
>
> That's way too much money. Must be a mistake. The Soft Warehouse has
> the basic Packard Bell 286 for $999 and the Packard Bell 386 for $2195.
> (w/o monitor and hard disk) For more info, 1+800-451-SOFT
> --
> Greg

I also get the DAK catalog; the $1999 price is correct, but it does
include 14" EGA, 40MB disk, Logitech mouse, Wordstar 4.0, Gem Draw,
and a few other SW items (like a $89 [!] desktop pub system).
However, the ad says that the PB AT-compatible (w/o monitor or disk)
retails for $4399!  The retail for the whole shebang as offered by
DAK is $6637!  So the $1999 price, probably not the cheapest possible,
is at least within the general AT range.  But the prices quoted
as retail seem totally ludicrous.

cbbrowne@rose.waterloo.edu (Christopher Browne) (05/16/88)

In article <5071@ecsvax.UUCP> dfile@ecsvax.UUCP (Dean File) writes:
>However, the ad says that the PB AT-compatible (w/o monitor or disk)
>retails for $4399!  The retail for the whole shebang as offered by
>DAK is $6637!  So the $1999 price, probably not the cheapest possible,
>is at least within the general AT range.  But the prices quoted
>as retail seem totally ludicrous.

When have advertisements ever shown sensible "retail prices?"  I remember during
the Home Computer Wars seeing ads which said "Atari 800XL - Suggested Retail
Price - $500" (or $499.95 :-) ) when the current price was under $200 (Canadian
dollars, no less - Probably $150 US at a store, less by mail order).  I think
IBM PCjr was one of the big offenders in this...  Using introduction prices for
the other products (which might be a legitimate comparison if the PCjr price
was going to drop in a similar fashion, but considering IBM...).

				Christopher Browne
				University of Waterloo

jerry@xroads.UUCP (Jerry M. Denman) (05/19/88)

> >Anyone out there have any info on the quality, relaibility, degree of
> >"cloneness" of the Packard Bell PCs?  The DAK Catalog is offering the
> >Packard Bell AT Clone for $1999.00
> >Frank Bateman
>
> That's way too much money. Must be a mistake. The Soft Warehouse has
> the basic Packard Bell 286 for $999 and the Packard Bell 386 for $2195.
> (w/o monitor and hard disk) For more info, 1+800-451-SOFT
> --
> Greg

If you read the ad , included with the system are a number of well know
packages (such as Wordstar 2000), a color EGA monitor (14 inch) with graphics
adapter, and a 40 MB hard disc. The ad also states an 18 month warrenty.

I am not familiar with The Soft Warehouse but do they include a 30 day money
back guarentee like DAK? Have they been around for close to a decade?

I'll lay my money on the DAK/Packard Bell deal.
re
--
\  /  C r o s s r o a d s  C o m m u n i c a t i o n s
 \/   (602) 971-2240