[comp.sys.misc] DRAM prices.

peter@ficc.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (06/07/88)

When I get depressed about DRAM prices, I just look up at the wall behind my
terminal. Sitting in a nice bronze frame is a 256 kilobit CORE memory card.
It probably cost a few thousand dollars, new. Thirty-odd dollars for 256 by
1 DRAMS doesn't seem quite like such an imposition after all.
--
-- Peter da Silva, Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
-- Phone: 713-274-5180. Remote UUCP: uunet!nuchat!sugar!peter.

dieter@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Dieter Muller) (06/20/88)

In article <870@.UUCP> peter@ficc.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>When I get depressed about DRAM prices, I just look up at the wall behind my
>terminal. Sitting in a nice bronze frame is a 256 kilobit CORE memory card.
>It probably cost a few thousand dollars, new. Thirty-odd dollars for 256 by
>1 DRAMS doesn't seem quite like such an imposition after all.

And I tend to think back to the good old days when I paid $300 for eight
4K x 1 bit DRAMs.  Some how, I have trouble feeling great sympathy for
people who feel they need several megabytes of memory.  I have several
programs on my venerable 6502 system that out-perform the big monster
workstations, usually due to good algorithms -> tight, fast code.  Even
UNIX, that "small, fast" system, has a 550K kernel on our Sun 3/160.
To think it used to fit into a PDP-11 w/ 64K....

I'll crawl back under my rock now.
Dieter
--
Welcome to the island.  You are number six.
...cmcl2!lanl!unm-la!unmvax!nmtsun!dieter