[comp.sys.misc] advise on personal unix system

dana@gmu90x.UUCP (J Dana Eckart) (06/15/88)

Like a great many people I am in search of the "perfect" system.  More
to the point, I want to find a Unix* machine for not much money.  I would
like to think that "not much money" could be translated into about $3000
(or even less :-)), but I have my doubts.

Two lines of attack of which I am aware are:

	(1) get the more expensive Unix products (~ $1500 for the whole
	    thing) that work on a wide variety of hardware, or
	(2) get a cheaper Unix (Bell Technologies sells one for ~ $400)
	    that runs on more restricted hardware (Bell sells a version
	    of the required 80386 hardware for ~$6000, minus hard disk).

Since the driving force is to have Unix, I thought I would ask the net
the current state of affairs.  Am I asking for too much (a sick feeling
in the pit of my stomach suggests that I am ... sigh)?  Please mail me
your suggestions, pieces of wisdom and confirmations of my worst fears.

[NOTE: I have purposely left other "system" requirements vague, so as
       not to further restrict suggestions.]

Thanks in advance.

*Unix is a registered trademark of AT&T Bell Laboratories.

J Dana Eckart
	UUCP:	...!(gatech | pyrdc)!gmu90x!dana
	ARPA:   dana@gmu90x.gmu.edu
	SNAIL:	P.O. Box 236/Fairfax, VA  22030-0236

cck@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (06/16/88)

In article <1150@gmu90x.UUCP> dana@gmu90x.UUCP (J Dana Eckart) writes:
>to the point, I want to find a Unix* machine for not much money.  I would
>like to think that "not much money" could be translated into about $3000

SCO Xenix on an ATT 63** is a reasonable approximation of UNIX,
perhaps even better than the real thing, since XENIX has a cross
compiler for MSDOS.  Including the whole OS, you could come in
under three grand.

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (06/16/88)

In article <1150@gmu90x.UUCP> dana@gmu90x.UUCP (J Dana Eckart) writes:
| Like a great many people I am in search of the "perfect" system.  More
| to the point, I want to find a Unix* machine for not much money.  I would

Don't buy a 286 machine. Although I have used one for years, there are
too many problems caused by (a) segmented archetecture and (b) people
assuming that int{same as}ptr.

I have a 386 at home, running Xenix. I tested the SVR3 ports from mport
and INteractive systems, and decided that they were not appropriate for
me, since I need reliability. Their preponents claim that's all fixed
now. I'm told that the BellTech port has no "enhancements" and works
reliably.

If you want real bottom bucks, get a unix-pc, which gives you a linear
address space, sysV+BSD utils, and virtual memory. Not fast but solid. A
2MB mem, 40MB disk version is ~$1500 + about $500 for software. Includes
a builtin 1200 baud modem.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) (06/16/88)

In article <1150@gmu90x.UUCP>, dana@gmu90x.UUCP (J Dana Eckart) writes:
> Like a great many people I am in search of the "perfect" system.  More
> to the point, I want to find a Unix* machine for not much money.  I would
> like to think that "not much money" could be translated into about $3000
> (or even less :-)), but I have my doubts.

I suggest an AT&T UNIX-PC running the latest release of UNIX (3.51a?)
that is out.

The post-fire-sale prices are really good.  Used is amazingly better.
(I got a slightly used 3b1 (67Mb HD, 2Mb RAM) for about $1000.)

A post on unix-pc.general would get you a good idea of the relative
merits and problems with unix pc's from a wide range of people.
--
Skate UNIX or go home, boogie boy...
Spelling errors are directly related to how little time I have...

jeff@wdl1.UUCP (Jonathan J. Jefferies) (06/21/88)

Dana
	This might not interest you at all but will send it out to you on the
maybe.  There have been several orphan types of unix boxes around.  I currently
use a callan and there has been at least one from AT&T itself that sold for
$1,750.  The main problem with these machines is that they are dated for their
original purposes.  Mine corresponds to an early 68000 based sun and runs
System V version 4.2.  But it does have all the trimings including a number
of languages, assemblers, and the like.  I'm not sure about the machine from
AT&T - all I do know is that it was advertised in "Uni-Ops" books, Boonville,
Ca (707) 895-2050.  There are a series of tradeoffs I suppose we have to
make between our intended uses and our pocket books.  The callans have worn
fairly well.  My main problem has been disk drives (Micropolis 1304's) which
in a couple of cases have gone well past their rated 40,000 hour mtbf.
My machines were the larger versions that callan built but their are still
a number of these out their available.  I'm including some notes I sent out
to some folks a while back just for curiousity's sake.  It may be that this
is not the right answer to your question or that I mis-understood you.
Jeff

Hi:
	Well this is something like paydirt, 2 responses in 1 day, perhaps
I should send out messages more often on the net.
A historical review of Callan computers with comments:  In its short life Callan
spurted out a series of computers- all with similar but different hardware &
software.  Probably this was and probably still is an undocumented feature
of computer companies.  But briefly callan put out at least some 4 versions
of the hardware and at least two software versions and was working on a 5 th
hardware system when they bit the dust.  First of all, all of their hardware
used the Multi-bus I for a system bus and then used some unused lines to
define an internal cpu bus.  Thus the cards are Multi-bus and standard
Multi-bus cards (those that address 24 bits) can be used at least for i/o.
In terms of hardware systems there was:
1.  the terminal -  you probably have one of in your system.  It
	has many similarities to the vt-100 and is on a single card with screen
	and keyboard and was marketed as the Unistar 100 and later included
	as the terminal/workstation with the Unistar 200 series.
2.  The Unistar 200, which came in two varieties:  the PM68k cpu board model
	and the CD68k cpu board model.  My machines all run with the latter.
	The main differences seem to be that the PM68k comes from Pacific Micro
	who is still in business and can fix your cpu board and even sell you
	an upgrade to the 68020 I believe.  Or at least some addon board.
	The pm68k had some on board memory (256 -512k I believe) and may have
	had limitations as to how much it could address off board.
	The CD68k was Callan's own contribution to the confusion.
	The CD68k board differs in that it has no on-board memory.  But it can
	address a magnificent 2 megabytes of memory, if you had the money.
	The later Unistar 200's also had larger disk drives, Micropolis 1304
	which formatted to 43 megs.
	Both of the machines had 4 serial ports, one was for the Unistar-100
	terminal interface, two were lead out the back of the machine, and one
	was left hanging - it had to have the same baud rate as one of the
	others.  There were a variety of hardware boards available, including:
	a graphics interface card, floppy disk controllers, add. memory
	an smd hard disk controller, a combined floppy-streamer tape interface,
	several different serial controllers, an ST-506 disk controller,
	and probably some others.  The internal cpu data path was 16 bits and
	made use of the multi-bus P-2 connector.  The dynamic ram however was
	refreshed in all of the 200-machines by the cpu.  The external multi-
	bus data path was either 8 or 16 bits.
3.  Then the fourth hardware series (if you count the two versions of the
	Unistar 200 separately) was the Magnificient UNISTAR 300.  Which was
	a Unistar 200 disguised as a mini-computer with no terminal built in
	but with expanded power supply, space for 4 (count them) micropolis
	1304 drieves (4x43 megabytes), and a cypher streaming tape drive.
	I have had one of these given to me and I'm not sure whether it was
	a blessing or a curse.
4.  And in the development stage but not yet ready for prime time was the
	CD68012 - (no there's no mistake I don't mean a 68020 but rather a
	motorolla 68012 processor ).  Motorolla by the way is phasing
	(a polite term) this processor out.  It is basically a 68010 processor
	with a few extra address lines led out to permit it to address 2 giga-
	bytes of ram.  Of course Callan was going all out and upgrading its
	memory address space to 8 megabytes.  A chap I know on the east coast
	sent me one for entertainment value.  And there is a fellow in Palo
	Alto who has a number of the ram boards - minus the ram, the rising
	cost of 256k chips drove him to part with them- from the Callan auction.
Speaking of social events the Callan auction was a great gathering of Callan
connoisseurs.  Actually I shouldn't complain as I am using
mine for the same purpose that someone else proposed - education and
enlightenment.
	On the software scene, Callan had come out with two versions of unix.
Both of these were largely a product of Microsoft.  The first which was ported
to the PM68k board was system 7.  The second was system V rev 4.2  for
the CD68K series.  It is this latter hunk of software that I am busily tearing
into.  I have been obtaining source code, disassembling the reconfiguration
object modules and locating forgotten notes of obsolete lore to try and figure
out what and why they (callan) did what they did.  Talk about an archeological
dig and it was only 1985 when they went belly up.  But in 3 years you would be
supprised at what happens to whale blubber.  To be a little less flip about it
the Callan's were probably as good as the rest of the market at the time and
mine have worn relatively well.  I used the Unistar 300 to teach an intro to
unix class at DeAnza (a junior college in Sunnyvale) ( if you can actually
imagine a college teaching computers without a computer) and after I left they
kept the machine and left it run for a year.  When I went to reclaim it there
was sawdust inside from some construction work they had done and still the beast
was running and I doubt that they turned it off except for christmas break.
Now the old punch line some bad news and some good.  You will probably find that
the PM68K machines, software and hardware, are compatible with mine only with
some difficulty, i.e. my object and task images will cause a core dump when
run under system7.  By the same token the disassemblies of the reconfiguration
code is probably not directly applicable to sys 7, though you are welcome to it.
However, in the course of my meanderings and at the Callan auction, I have run
into a number of folks with the Callan PM68k machines.  There is a good size
group (6) at U.C. Santa Barbara.  Unfortunately they aren't hackers and the
machines have basically been shelved, the rodime drives are just adequate.
I also know of one fellow who is also interested in upgrading his machine
So I may be able to put you in touch with him.  Now on the really helpful side
I did lay my pinkies on some software which - both for the earlier
system 7 (properly Unix System 3 version 7) and the later Unix System V.
Much of the latter came with one or more of my machines.  Also I have some
copies of various hardware documents - which ain't always what one would need
much less desire but do what we can with what we have.  The question is what
hardware do you have and which system are you running.  I'm willing to share
the software for the cost of reproducing and mailing.  The documentation
I'm willing to mail out (at your cost) and allow you to duplicate.  It would
be nice if we complete strangers could share these things.  I would like to
have a few others out there interested in these arcane objects.  Anyway here is
a summary of the software I have with comments:
** System 3 version 7 (or just system 7)
	Pascal compiler, Fortran 77, basic+, and unicalc (a spreadsheet).
	Also I have some documentation on the PM68k cpu board - which you may
	already have.
** System V
	Ada, fortran 77, 68k motorolla assembler (different than the unix one),
	cobol compiler, basic+, qone (a word processor), qcalc(spread sheet),
	callan graphics(useful if you have the callan graphics board which
	emulates a tektronix 4010), reconfiguration files (these are object
	modules which allow you to relink unix and thereby reduce the size or
	add in new drivers), unify (database ) <the data base and word
	processor haven't been too useful.
** hardware documentation:  I have manuals on most of the hardware and enough
	copies to chance lending it out if given some assurances of having it
	returned.
** IN RETURN** I would expect that the borrowers pay for shipping to and fro
	and for materials used in duplication.
** also there is a chap, Richard Kinch, who still makes some profit selling
	and refurbishing at ridiculious prices Callan computers.  I recommend
	him only as a last resort and after having exhausted all other remedies.
	Huch as the net.  But he will send you a catalog (2 sheets with prices)
	he is at 501 S. Meadow St., Ithaca, N.Y., telephone (607) 273-0222.
	There are als o some other purveyers of junk who occasionally have
	Callan parts,one, in Palo Alto, has smd disk controller boards for
	the callan ($150), and the 4 mega byte boards(ramless) ($50).  So if
	you were interested in some real hacking we might be able to hit them up
	for some reduced prices in return for taking this obviously not good to
	anyone junk off their hands at our own risk.  However, for disks I
	think the best bet is to alter the disk driver so as to be able to
	use (st-506) disks other than then rodime or micropolis.  If you have a
	liberty bay disk controller card then what I am doing may be of interest
	The reconfiguration files indicate that there is also an msc controller
	card but do not have the object modules to include it.  Not sure what
	this means.  Looking forward to hearing from you.

	p.s. the two names I currently have received are:
		krohn@ctt.ctt.bellcore.com  (Eric Krohn) and
		sgi!ames!elroy!jplgodo!wlbr!pete  (Pete)

rmb384@leah.Albany.Edu (Robert M. Bownes III) (06/29/88)

In article <1150@gmu90x.UUCP>, dana@gmu90x.UUCP (J Dana Eckart) writes:
> Like a great many people I am in search of the "perfect" system.  More
> to the point, I want to find a Unix* machine for not much money.  I would
> like to think that "not much money" could be translated into about $3000
> (or even less :-)), but I have my doubts.

	Used Sun 2's can be had for about 3K. I'm trying to accomplish
this at the moment by selling of my Xenix System. They are usually only
slightly diskfull for that cost however.

Bob
--
Bob Bownes, Aka Keptin Comrade Dr Bobwrench III	|  If I didn't say it, It
bownesrm@beowulf.uucp  (518)-482-8798		|  must be true.

berger@clio.UUCP (07/01/88)

I've seen a couple of diskless Sun-2's for under $ 1000.  Be patient!
I've seen a couple of diskless Sun-2's for under $ 1000.  Be patient!
			Mike Berger
			Department of Statistics
			Science, Technology, and Society
			University of Illinois

			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger

isaac@gethen.UUCP (Isaac Rabinovitch) (07/01/88)

In article <1150@gmu90x.UUCP>, dana@gmu90x.UUCP (J Dana Eckart) writes:
> Like a great many people I am in search of the "perfect" system.  More
> to the point, I want to find a Unix* machine for not much money.  I would
> like to think that "not much money" could be translated into about $3000
> (or even less :-)), but I have my doubts.

It probably helps to live in close proximity to failed attempts to
manufacture Unix-oriented micros.  Often (including this very Thursday)
I see ads (in the San Jose Mercury-News) for used Convergent MiniFrames
(manufactured in San Jose) right in your price range.  Perhaps some have
drifted into your area.  You should also look in Unix World and other
magazines with Unix in the title:  they often have ads for mail order
houses (caveat emptor) selling orphan machines.