[comp.sys.misc] Bsd Unix -- for "SMALL" BBS system?

brickman@cme-durer.ARPA (Jonathan E. Brickman) (08/24/88)

In article <10670@duorion.cair.du.edu> you write:
>If you are running BSD Unix 4.[2][3] -- do you have to have a Vax/Microvax?
>Is it possible to bring BSD down to a PC (yeah -- I know.. try not to laugh
>to hard about this question -- even though it sounds a little primative
>:-) ;-).  What is the MINIMUM Hardware??

I'm pretty sure that there exists a port of Unix (whether BSD or not
I'm not sure) for all PC-DOS machines.
Not that it's any good; your speed would be atrocious if you even attempted
to use daemon-ing, etc., to get multitasked efficiency out of your
BBS (a la by backgrounding message saves, etc., etc.).
'286 ports are more common, and quite a bit faster; I think someone
has (finally) produced a protected-mode-based '286 Unix; am I correct, all
you netters?  Several sources have come out with '386-based Unixes, all
of which are bound to be rawther nice.  I would strongly suspect,
though, that the best Unix bang for the buck is in the AT&T Unix PCs,
which are apparently proliferating as of the past few years.  Those
things have superb internal architecture (Hey, Unix PCers,
what's your CPU?  I know your RAM is super-fast, among other things),
and seem to be the only really consistent lowest-common-denominator
Unix machine.
Do I hear any rebuttal?

hdr@juniper.uucp (Henry Davenport Reynolds) (08/30/88)

In article <600@rtg.cme-durer.ARPA> brickman@rtg (Jonathan E. Brickman) writes:
>(Hey, Unix PCers, what's your CPU?  I know your RAM is super-fast,
>among other things),

Not really, here's the stuff i could scrap together on the UNIX-PC.
Hope it helps ||- \_o
              ||- /
WARNING: UNIX-PC is no-longer manufactured, AT&T no longer supports
	the software unless something is _REALLY_ broken. And even then
	they are slow to answer.
ON-THE-OTHER-HAND: GNU stuff has been ported to this machine and lost of
	other free is available via THE STORE and an extremely dedicated
	core of users.

	UNIX-PC a.k.a 7300 a.k.a 3B1:

	Processor: 68010 @ 10Mhz
		32 bit processor with 16 bit data bus

	RAM Memory: (internal) 512K - 2Mb RAM
		    7300 1/2 to 1 Mb
		    3B1  1 to 2 Mb
	 	    up to 2 Mb on expansion bus
	--
		4 Mb RAM maximum (~120 nsec i think?)
		custom MMU uses most upper most address lines used

	Disk Memory: 10 - 67 Mb Hard Disk
		   7300 10 or 20 Mb 1/2 height Hard Drive
		   3B1 40 or 67 Mb full height Hard Drive
	--
		67 Mb maximum(without working for it)
		WD1010 formatter/controller chip limited to 1024 cylinders

	Misc:
		up to 7 serial ports. 1 integeral 2 per expansion bus card
		1 parallel port integeral
		1 internal 300/1200 baud modem
		2 modular telephone line jacks for incomming lines
		1 modular telephone jack for handset

	Plus lots of other goodies: mouse, bit-map display(720X348), cheap
	what's left of them are going for ~$800 to < $2000