[comp.sys.misc] ZX-80 Hackers

secrist@msdsws.DEC.COM (Richard Secrist, Digital Equip. Corp. USA) (09/12/88)

	I've been looking for something to do with the Timex-1000 clone
	I have (the PC-8300) that I got mostly because it was practically
	free and it's related to my Jupiter Ace.

	So yes - there are other ZX-80ish people out here -- and I'm looking
	for other Jupiter Ace folk to boot... anybody out there ?  [ The
	Jupiter Ace, not to be confused with the Micro Ace, was a Z-80,
	FORTH-based variant from people in the middle of the ZX-8x projects;
	the company is since defunct. ]

	I got a memory cartridge for my '1000 clone from Curry Computer in
	Texas not too long ago -- you might try there.

	rcs

keith@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk (09/13/88)

In article <8809111858.AA19177@decwrl.dec.com>,
secrist@msdsws.DEC.COM (Richard Secrist, Digital Equip. Corp. USA) writes:

> 	I've been looking for something to do with the Timex-1000 clone
> 	I have (the PC-8300) that I got mostly because it was practically
> 	free and it's related to my Jupiter Ace.

Is this a joke?

Keith

jec@nesac2.UUCP (John Carter ATLN SADM) (09/23/88)

In article <2062@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk>, keith@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk writes:
> In article <8809111858.AA19177@decwrl.dec.com>,
> secrist@msdsws.DEC.COM (Richard Secrist, Digital Equip. Corp. USA) writes:
] ]
] ] 	I've been looking for something to do with the Timex-1000 clone
] ] 	I have (the PC-8300) that I got mostly because it was practically
] ] 	free and it's related to my Jupiter Ace.
]
] Is this a joke?
]
] Keith

There are several ideas for the use of the ZX.

1) with the 64K RAM, make a printer buffer (a printer driver that converts the
	ZX screen codes to ASCII and drives a parallel printer is less than
	1000 bytes of hand-coded assembly - the magazine folded before they
	printed the article, but they sent me the camera ready copy and a
	'we hope you find some place to publish this' letter - but then I
	discovered the 6809... )

2) put 16K of static RAM (two 8Kx8 chips) on the board, use a battery backed
	power supply, and make a house controller, or a security system
	controller - use an LCD TV for a display and provide a continuous
	status display on the front of the controller case - remember that
	the 'terminal interface' (keyboard + rf modulator) is included with
	the ZX series.

3) turn your imagination loose with an 'intelligent module' to include in
	_any_ project.
--
USnail: John Carter, AT&T, Atlanta RWC, 3001 Cobb Parkway, Atlanta GA 30339
Video:	...att!nesac2!jec    Voice: 404+951-4642