[comp.sys.misc] NeXT running Mac software

ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (09/30/88)

In article <870247@hpcilzb.HP.COM> tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) writes:
>Maybe it isn't too unrealistic to expect the NeXT box to ... run Mac programs.
Not unrealistic at all, but I'd be nervous about implementing it if I were
a big enough targe.. er, large company.
>Maybe we will soon see Apple produce a "Mac card" that you can plug into your
>NeXT, enabling it to run Mac programs.
Unlikely, unless Apple decides to be a systems house like MIPS or somebody.

A 680X0 machine can run all other 680X0 software, simultaneously if you like.
(It helps to have an MMU to catch addresses to memory locations which
activate special features on the machine(s) being 'emulated.')  This capability
is more powerful than the 8088 capability that 80386 machines have, but
I've never heard of anyone except Motorola using it (on the 68k).
Imagine being able to run Mach/Unix, Mac, AND Amiga software on your NeXT
machine.

Of course, performance and licensing are different issues.
--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.
Internet: ralphw@ius3.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412) CMU-BUGS

In article <3169@pt.cs.cmu.edu> I wrote:
>A 680X0 machine can run all other 680X0 software, simultaneously if you like.
Sorry, I should have clarified my statment. A 680X0 can execute other 680Y0
opcodes, where X>Y.  (ie you can't execute 68020 opcodes on a 68000).