[comp.sys.misc] significance of Mathematica

crum@lipari.usc.edu (Gary L. Crum) (10/03/88)

How powerful is Mathematica?  Will its inclusion with computers from NeXT
increase the rate of mathematical analysis and research?

I hope this speculative posting does not irritate many readers.  I am currently
defining my research area, and I want ideas and views about computer
applications to the processing and communication of high-level information.
References will be appreciated.  I am wondering if Mathematica defines any
file format that could be used for the widespread exchange of mathematical
information in analytic form.

sbrunnoc@hawk.ulowell.edu (Sean Brunnock) (10/04/88)

From article <12531@oberon.USC.EDU>, by crum@lipari.usc.edu (Gary L. Crum):
> How powerful is Mathematica?  Will its inclusion with computers from NeXT
> increase the rate of mathematical analysis and research?

  I, too, am curious. I use Macsyma v412.45 on a Symbolics 3600. Other than its
color capabilities, I do not understand the brouhaha. Is there anyone out there
who has used both Macsyma and Mathematica and would be willing to post a summary
of differences? Thank you.

				Sean Brunnock

vkr@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) (10/04/88)

In article <9450@swan.ulowell.edu> sbrunnoc@hawk.ulowell.edu (Sean Brunnock) writes:
> I, too, am curious. I use Macsyma v412.45 on a Symbolics 3600. Other than its
>color capabilities, I do not understand the brouhaha. Is there anyone out
>there who has used both Macsyma and Mathematica and would be willing to post
>a summary of differences? Thank you.

I would like to see a comparative review of all the major symbolic calculation
programs. The closest I have seen is a rather simple listing of cababilities
of programs and the write-up is five years old. Can anybody give a reference
where such reviews may be found.

BTW, Maple on the Amiga does use color too. But it does only two dimensional
graphs and not particularly fast, especially if you have infinite ranges.

gae@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (10/05/88)

In article <902@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu> vkr@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu.UUCP (Vidhyanath K. Rao) writes:
>In article <9450@swan.ulowell.edu> sbrunnoc@hawk.ulowell.edu (Sean Brunnock) writes:

>I would like to see a comparative review of all the major symbolic calculation
>programs.

The NOTICES of the American Mathematical Society has a new column that will
be doing reviews of such software.  They will begin with Mathematica, presumably
becaus of its superior PR.
--
  Gerald A. Edgar                               TS1871@OHSTVMA.bitnet
  Department of Mathematics                     gae@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu

kadie@m.cs.uiuc.edu (10/05/88)

What makes Mathematica better?

It is written in C, so it has a larger potential customer base.

Just my opinion,
   Carl Kadie