[comp.sys.misc] NeXT: edit newsgroup AND subject lines please!

tneff@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Neff) (10/17/88)

I am enjoying all this NeXT discussion quite a bit -- it's one more
reason there's nothing quite like Usenet.  But as matters stand right
now there are about 6-10 separate discussions taking place cross-posted
to 4 or more newsgroups, all under one Subject: line!  This plays havoc
with newsreaders, both in the software and human sense.

I suggest we move everything to comp.sys.misc for now, and edit our subject
lines to reflect what we're ACTUALLY talking about, e.g.:

	NeXT - chip cramming
	NeXT - educational/public pricing
	NeXT - optical drive pro/con
	NeXT - what about MACH?

etcetera.  Please take a moment to think about this suggestion and (I
hope) comply for the sake of net.sanity.

Btw the volume of discussion on this machine (if it keeps up), coupled
with NeXT's apparent academic targeting, make it seem real likely to me
that comp.sys.next is inevitable sooner or later.  We can make the best
case for the newsgroup by focusing everything in one group like
comp.sys.misc -- the regulars of which will then become comp.sys.next's
biggest boosters! :-)
--
Tom Neff			UUCP: ...!cmcl2!phri!dasys1!tneff
	"None of your toys	CIS: 76556,2536	       MCI: TNEFF

dewey@execu.UUCP (Dewey Henize) (10/17/88)

In article <6982@dasys1.UUCP> tneff@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Neff) writes:
>I am enjoying all this NeXT discussion quite a bit -- it's one more
>reason there's nothing quite like Usenet.  But as matters stand right
>now there are about 6-10 separate discussions taking place cross-posted
>to 4 or more newsgroups, all under one Subject: line!  This plays havoc
>with newsreaders, both in the software and human sense.
>
>I suggest we move everything to comp.sys.misc for now, and edit our subject
>lines to reflect what we're ACTUALLY talking about, e.g.:
>
>	NeXT - chip cramming
>	NeXT - educational/public pricing
>	NeXT - optical drive pro/con
>	NeXT - what about MACH?

Yes, please do this.  Although the NeXT machine seems to have caught
a lot of attention, the crossposting is a bit ridiculous.  It should't
be a lot of problem though, people are already blowing off the usual
discussion period and talking about "let's make a newgroup as soon as
we get to 100 articles" since, after all, there's no reason to follow
working procedures when we can post all over the place regarding a new
fad item, eh?

Sorry folks, but so far there's been a LOT of hoopla and a fairly low
signal to noise value.  Is it REALLY that everyone thinks this is going
to replace every machine ever made?  Come on now.

One of the silly little reasons that almost any delay is built into
changes in systems is that sometimes today's fad is tomorrow dead issue.
It may turn out that the NeXT machine is something wonderful.  If a
poor little time like a month or so goes by a there is new info and lots
of continueing developments are seen, then I'll be right there urging
a whatever.next group in the 'mainstream' groups.  But right now there
has been an awful lot of 'gee do you suppose' crossposted all over the
place and its excersizing the heck out of my 'n' key.

Remember, using this type of quickshot rationale, we could also create
sci.shuttle.recent-flight, talk.first.debate, and many hundreds of other
topics that are short term only.  All I ask, again, is a bit of longer
term vision before we add to comp.*.

Dewey Henize
| There is nothing in the above message that can't be explained by sunspots.  |
|             execu!dewey  Dewey Henize   or    juniper!dhenize               |
|         Can you say standard disclaimer?  I knew you could.  Somehow...     |