[comp.sys.misc] The NeXT machine

root@amyerg.UUCP (Admin) (09/24/88)

In case some of you haven't already seen the specifications for the NEXT
computer (by Steve Jobs, et al), here are what they are supposed to be for the
introductory model:

68030 processor at 25 mHz
4 megs of RAM (1.5 meg reserved for graphics)
300 meg erasable optical drive (courtesy of Sony)
1.4 meg 3.5" disk drive
MACH operating system (Carnagie-Mellon Multi-processor Unix) with
   the kernel in RAM
Display Postscript, X-Windows, and NEXT interface (in ROM)
Built-in 9600 baud modem
SCSI and Parallel ports, as well as an ethernet port
Copy of Mathematica
C compiler
1024 x 960(?) monochrome display

Price: $5995 (40% discount available to educational institutions)

Looking forward to getting mine!

--
Ewan Grantham (601) 354-6454 ext. 412  Miss. Dept. of Corrections
{}!swbatl!amyerg!egranthm             (The Prison People)

slf@well.UUCP (Sharon Lynne Fisher) (09/25/88)

>In case some of you haven't already seen the specifications for the NEXT
>computer (by Steve Jobs, et al), here are what they are supposed to be for the
>introductory model:

What is the source of your information?

dpm@cs.cmu.edu (David Maynard) (10/13/88)

>       The big question of the day: how stable is Mach?  Until
>       relatively recently, Mach was a reseach OS.  Has NeXT
>       had time to get all the kinks out?

Mach has been used for production computing on literally hundereds of machines
here at CMU for some time now.  (That isn't to say that the Mach people aren't
still making big improvements and enhancements.)

I've also heard (rumors) that NeXT has made several file system improvements to
Mach.  Judging from the announcement of NFS support it sounds like the rumors
may be true.

---
David P. Maynard (dpm@cs.cmu.edu)
Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA  15213
---
Any opinions expressed are mine only.  I haven't asked the ECE or CS
departments, or CMU what they think.
---

soley@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (10/22/88)

In article <13870@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> bkliewer@iuvax.UUCP (Bradley Dyck Kliewer) writes:
>In article <5806@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> elg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Eric Green) writes:
>>One question: Why the hell have a floppy drive when you have a 256MB
>>removable erasable optical disk?
>$50 is awfully expensive media for commercial software distribution when
>a few $1 diskettes are the norm (retail price comparisons, of course).

Streaming tapes cost about $50 (retail) and I get software on them all
the time. Hell when the Mac first came out a box of 3.5" diskettes was
over $100 when you could find them.

--
Norman Soley - Data Communications Analyst - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
UUCP:	uunet!attcan!lsuc!ncrcan!ontenv!soley	VOICE:	+1 416 323 2623