[comp.sys.misc] Cost of floptical s/w distribution

lyndon@nexus.ca (Lyndon Nerenberg) (10/24/88)

In article <1517@maccs.McMaster.CA>, dan@maccs (Dan Trottier) writes:
> Plus it will add $50 dollars to the price of buying
>software.

Why? It seems that most software currently ships on QIC tapes. These
go for around $50 (Canadian). The floptical costs C$65 according to
everything I've read. Fifteen bucks isn't going to make a damn bit
of difference in end user price.
--

mike@ists.yorku.ca (Mike Clarkson) (10/25/88)

In article <10508@ncc.Nexus.CA>, lyndon@nexus.ca (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
| In article <1517@maccs.McMaster.CA|, dan@maccs (Dan Trottier) writes:
| | Plus it will add $50 dollars to the price of buying
| |software.
|
| Why? It seems that most software currently ships on QIC tapes. These
| go for around $50 (Canadian). The floptical costs C$65 according to
| everything I've read. Fifteen bucks isn't going to make a damn bit
| of difference in end user price.

Not to mention having another spare 250 Megs of disk to use after
you're finshed with the 5 Meg or whatever software distribution.

Mike Clarkson					mike@ists.UUCP
Institute for Space and Terrestrial Science	mike@ists.yorku.ca
York University, North York, Ontario,		uunet!mnetor!yunexus!ists!mike
CANADA M3J 1P3					+1 (416) 736-5611

raymond@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov.arpa (Eric A. Raymond) (10/26/88)

Give me a break.  Seems like the machine is getting a bad rap for following
a practice that has been commonplace in the industry.  NeXT's are not Macs
(or PC's for that matter).  They are built for a clustered environment and
as such should be treated as such (otherwise, what use is the ethernet).
You don't complain that your SUN doesn't have as floppy drive so don't
complain about the NeXT.  Never heard of anyone having to buy a tape unit
before.  Look at it this way, you only need one drive per cluster.

By the way, move this to comp.next.

Name: Eric A. Raymond
ARPA: raymond@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov
SLOW: NASA Ames Research Center, MS 244-17, Moffett Field, CA 94035

Nothing left to do but :-) :-) :-)