[comp.sys.misc] INFO-MICRO Digest V88 #195

DJOHNSON%CH3@sc.intel.COM ("Don Johnson x2908 ms:c3-58 Pole: J5") (11/10/88)

Does anyone have the pinout for the Floppy Disk Drive port on the back
of the Toshiba laptops?  I'd like to skip the high cost of one of their
floppies...

  djohnson%ch3@sc.intel.com

   Thanks,

    DJ

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun NCAA) (11/13/88)

In article <8811111442.AA16282@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, DJOHNSON%CH3@sc.intel.COM ("Don Johnson x2908 ms:c3-58 Pole: J5") writes:
> Does anyone have the pinout for the Floppy Disk Drive port on the back
> of the Toshiba laptops?  I'd like to skip the high cost of one of their
> floppies...
>
>   djohnson%ch3@sc.intel.com
>
>    Thanks,
>
>     DJ

This may be what you are looking for:

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc,comp.periphs
Subject: Re: Help with disk connector

In article <1020@adds.newyork.NCR.COM> kieran@adds.newyork.NCR.COM (Joe Cabana) writes:
>... Toshiba 1200H portable ...
>The only problem I have is I can't get the pinout for the external floppy
>connector.
>... a wireing diagram for a DB-25 to 34 pin
>edge card cable ...

All users of Toshiba PCs should take advantage of what I consider to be
an excellent customer support system.  The best part is that it's free!

Toshiba operates a bulletin board dedicated to supporting their
personal computer product line.  The phone number is 714-837-4408
and they support 300/1200/2400 bps.  Two of the files that you can
download from this BBS are called 3100-IBM.TXT and OTHRCONN.TXT and
they describe the disk drive cable and the connector pinouts, respectively.
For your enjoyment, they are included below:

------- File 3100-IBM.TXT

1100+ or 3100 to IBM Floppy Disk

	Male DB-25 to 34 pin Card Edge connector

		1	33 & 34
		2	8
		3	26
		4	28
		5	30
	   6 to 9 nc
		10	12
		11	16
		12	22
		13	24
		14 nc
		15	32
		16	18
		17	20
	  18 to 25	All odd pins

-------- File OTHRCONN.TXT

RGB Connector

1 & 2	Ground
3	Red
4	Green
5	Blue
6	Intensity
7	Not Used
8	Horizantal Sync
9	Vertical Sync

Printer Port			|	Floppy Port

1	Strobe		O	|	1	External drive Ready	I
2	Data 0		O	|	2	Index			I
3	Data 1		O	|	3	Track 0			I
4	Data 2		O	|	4	Write Protected		I
5	Data 3		O	|	5	Read Data		I
6	Data 4		O	|	6	Disk Change		I
7	Data 5		O	|	7-9	Not Used
8	Data 6		O	|	10	Drive Select -B		O
9	Data 7		O	|	11	Motor On -B		O
10	Ack		I	|	12	Write Data		O
11	Busy		I	|	13	Write Enable		O
12	Paper End	I	|	14	300 Kbps Data Rate	O
13	Select		I	|	15	Side Select		O
14	Auto Feed	O	|	16	Direction		O
15	Error		I	|	17	Step			O
16	Printer Init	O	|	18-25	Ground
17	Select In	O	|
18-25	Ground			|

--------

Make sure your disk drive is jumpered as drive "B" (DS1).

I took this one step further with my 3100.  The controller in the
3100 will support 1.2MB drives, so I added the extra wire between
DB25 pin 14 and edge connector pin 2.  I mounted two drives in one
box and set up a toggle switch on the drive-select line to switch
between the 360K and 1.2M drives.  When switching between drives
you also need to run the Toshiba-supplied TEST program and change the
setup for the second diskette drive.

	Good luck!

--
Bob Hoffman, N3CVL       {allegra, bellcore, cadre, idis, psuvax1}!pitt!hoffman
Pitt Computer Science    hoffman@vax.cs.pittsburgh.edu

--
Matthew Lee Stier     (919) 469-8300|
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27560|          "Wisconsin   Escapee"