[comp.sys.misc] MS-DOS Environment Space

SAC.96BMW-LGSPP@E.ISI.EDU (11/18/88)

  Does anyone have any tips/tricks/secrets/etc... on how to get extra
environment space in DOS?   The /e: parameter doesn't seem to help me
out any..   Does anyone have any other way of doing it?
+-----------------+-------------------------------------------------+
|   _ __   (TFM)  | Richard A. Gautier, Airman First Class, USAF    |
|  ' )  )      /  | ARPA: SAC.96BMW-LGSPP@e.isi.edu                 |
|   /--' o _. /_  | Work: 915-696-4946  Play: 915-695-3406          |
|  /  \_<_(__/ /_ | Programmers never die, they just get debugged!  |
+-----------------+-------------------------------------------------+

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (11/22/88)

In article <[E.ISI.EDU]17-Nov-88.15:23:42.SAC.96BMW-LGSPP>, SAC.96BMW-LGSPP@E.ISI.EDU writes:

>   Does anyone have any tips/tricks/secrets/etc... on how to get extra
> environment space in DOS?   The /e: parameter doesn't seem to help me
> out any..   Does anyone have any other way of doing it?

This isn't the right group for this (try comp.sys.ibm.pc in the future).
Add this line to your CONFIG.SYS file, and make sure it's the first
line:

    SHELL=c:\command.com /E:330 /P

"330" of course is the number of paragraphs of environment space you
want.

--
Clayton E. Cramer
..!ames!pyramid!kontron!optilin!cramer

ltf@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Lance Franklin) (11/23/88)

In article <685@optilink.UUCP> cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
>In article <[E.ISI.EDU]17-Nov-88.15:23:42.SAC.96BMW-LGSPP>, SAC.96BMW-LGSPP@E.ISI.EDU writes:
>>   Does anyone have any tips/tricks/secrets/etc... on how to get extra
>> environment space in DOS?   The /e: parameter doesn't seem to help me
>> out any..   Does anyone have any other way of doing it?
>Add this line to your CONFIG.SYS file, and make sure it's the first
>line:
>
>    SHELL=c:\command.com /E:330 /P
>
>"330" of course is the number of paragraphs of environment space you
>want.

Under MS-DOS 3.1 (and 3.2, I think) it's the number of paragraphs (and quite
a hefty number...you've just allocated 5280 bytes for the environment).  Under
MS-DOS 3.3, it's the number of bytes, rounded up to the nearest 16 byte
paragraph, in which case, you've just allocated 336 bytes for the environment.

Also, you might want to check the latest ibm.pc.digest...someone showed a
patch for command.com (well, at least an instruction to change) that ensures
that command.com will always allocate the amount of environment space you
want, even when it's a child process to the main command.com.

Lance

--
| Lance T Franklin        | | I never said that! It must be some kind of a  |