From : INFO-MICRO@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL
Subject:  INFO-MICRO Digest V89 #17

Date:  Thu, 26 Jan 89 01:30:35 MST
From:  INFO-MICRO-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL
To:  INFO-MICRO@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL

INFO-MICRO Digest           Thu, 26 Jan 89       Volume 89 : Issue  17

Today's Topics:
                               alliant
                               Amstrad
                            Archimedes 310
                      Info on ORCIM, Inc. needed
               When did computer viruses really start?

Date: 24 Jan 89 21:09:19 GMT
From: mcvax!hp4nl!eutrc3!euteal!mart@uunet.uu.net  (Mart van Stiphout)
Subject: alliant

  Hi out there,
  does anyone know if there is a newsgroup comp.sys.alliant?
  And if there isn't, would it be usefull to create one ?

  Mart van Stiphout
  Eindhoven University of Technology
  Dept. Electr. Engineering
  Email: mart@euteal.eutrc3.hp4nl.mcvax.uucp

------------------------------

Date: 26 Jan 89 02:57:48 GMT
From: SERGE@pucc.princeton.edu  (Serge J. Goldstein)
Subject: Amstrad

Amex is offering the AMSTRAD computer for 1199, 20 months to pay, no
interest.  It's an MS-DOS machine with 640K, two floppies, color monitor and a
mouse.  Has anyone ever heard of this machine?  Good deal???

------------------------------

Date: 23 Jan 89 00:38:13 GMT
From: mitel!sce!cognos!alzabo!kebera@uunet.uu.net  (Krishna Bera)
Subject: Archimedes 310

Good day ,eh!
   I read about a computer called the Archimedes 310 in BYTE(R) magazine
last year, and managed to buy one. It is a RISC machine, with a 32bit bus
and proprietary operating system named Arthur. I am informed by the company's
agents in North America, Olivetti, that some others have been sold here too.
If so, and if these folks are reading this, would you be interested in sharing
info/software/tips, etc.?
   Please E-mail to me at the below address (unless you wish
to begin a discussion right here on comp.sys.misc, of course). I understand
that there are quite a few Archimedes users in the U.K. -- do you have
your own news.group and if so, how may I join in?
   Acorn have sold a micro called the BBC in the
past (didn't do well here, I hear),
and are also making an Archimedes 400 series as a workstation.
I am satisfied of the potential of my A310, and people I have showed
it to are impressed with its speed and great graphics and sound. More
later if there is interest.
--
Krishna E. Bera
Programmer on the loose              Brian's  XENIXlings

517-1375 Prince of Wales Dr.         kebera@alzabo.uucp
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada              Tel.: 1-613-723-9576
K2C 3L5

------------------------------

Date: 26 Jan 89 04:43:29 GMT
From: cica!glasscoc@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu  (John Glasscock)
Subject: Info on ORCIM, Inc. needed

My friend, Jochen Hellbeck, has been investigating good deals
on laptops.  His best find, so far, has been a virtual Toshiba
called Ogivar Laptop 286-12.  It has
   80286 12.5 MHz
   Toshiba 3200 compatible
   640K Ram (100 NS)
   Gas Plasma Display - 4 shades
   640 x 400 Resolution EGA
   one 720K 3.5" drive
   40 MB hard drive (28 ms)
   MS DOS 3.3 (Yechhh!)

This baby is virtually a Toshiba, and the photo shows it to be
indistinguishable from a Toshiba (if it looks like a duck, walks

The price, including case, is $2,695.00.
The company is ORCIM, Inc.
134 West 26th St
NYC 10001

or
1700 Rockville Pike
Rockville, MD  20852

1-800-237-6785

Concerns that we have are that this company does not apparently accept
credit cards, and we do not know anything about the company.  Have any
netlanders dealt with this company?  What is their reputation?  Are
they solvent?

He is going to the business library to check their Dun & Bradstreet
ratings (posting will follow), and to find whatever other info we
may have here (one of the best business libraries).

Your comments will be appreciated.  Please e-mail to me
John Glasscock
glasscoc@cica.cica.indiana.edu
I will summarize and post by next Wednesday, 1 Feb 1989.
John Glasscock                          Indiana University
glasscoc@cica.cica.indiana.edu          Bloomington, Indiana

------------------------------

Date: 25 Jan 89 18:21:40 GMT
From: elbereth.rutgers.edu!ron.rutgers.edu!ron@rutgers.edu  (Ron Natalie)
Subject: When did computer viruses really start?

I'm not sure about the medical obsession, but the concept
of a computer virus was certainly used in Science Fiction
stories for well over ten years.  The idea of a program
that gets loose and takes over all the computers is pretty
classic, even if it wasn't called a virus.

Certainly the infamous Bell Labs cpp feature is classifiable
as a virus and by my estimates must have existed about 12
years ago.

-Ron

End of INFO-MICRO Digest