[comp.sys.misc] More Perspective Humor

SAC.55SRW-LGS@E.ISI.EDU (02/06/89)

     Got this from an e-mail buddy and systems analyst in Ohio:

        If builders built buildings the way programmers write
programs, the first woodpecker to come along would have destroyed
Civilization!

        Hope this starts a brief, but enjoyable, seasonable roll.

Regards,
Godfrey Daniels

karl@ficc.uu.net (karl lehenbauer) (02/07/89)

In article <[E.ISI.EDU].5-Feb-89.10:38:26.SAC.55SRW-LGS>, SAC.55SRW-LGS@E.ISI.EDU writes:
>      Got this from an e-mail buddy and systems analyst in Ohio:

>         If builders built buildings the way programmers write
> programs, the first woodpecker to come along would have destroyed
> Civilization!

Software entities are more complex for their size than perhaps any other human
construct because no two parts are alike.  If they are, we make the two
similar parts into a subroutine -- open or closed.  In this respect, software
systems differ profoundly from computers, buildings, or automobiles, where
repeated elements abound.
- Fred Brooks, Jr.
--
-- uunet!ficc!karl	"The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious
-- karl@ficc.uu.net	encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without

jac@paul.rutgers.edu (Jonathan A. Chandross) (02/10/89)

SAC.55SRW-LGS@E.ISI.EDU (Godfrey Daniels) writes:
>  If builders built buildings the way programmers write
>  programs, the first woodpecker to come along would have destroyed
>  Civilization!

This is known as "Zymurgy's Second Law of Programming."  Check out the Murphy's
Law books for this and other quotable laws.

Jonathan A. Chandross
ARPA: jac@paul.rutgers.edu
UUCP: rutgers!jac@paul.rutgers.edu

If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, Jolt
would be a fortune-500 company.

If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, you'd be
able to buy a nice little colonial split-level at Babbages for $34.95.

If programmers wrote programs the way builders build buildings, we'd still
be using autocoder and running compile decks.

One man's perspective is another man's Superbowl 3-d.
Work: uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter, peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.   `-_-'
Home: bigtex!texbell!sugar!peter, peter@sugar.uu.net.                 'U`
Opinions may not represent the policies of FICC or the Xenix Support group.