[comp.sys.misc] When did comptuer viruses really start?

CMCDONALD@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Chris McDonald) (02/06/89)

virus, at least not in his PhD dissertation.  Fred stated there that his
faculty advisor, Leon Adelman, had coined the term "virus" during a class-
room discussion on an experiment that Fred had proposed.  The dissertation
references earlier projects which Fred used as the rationale for his work
and subsequent investigation.  Both the Virus-L and RISKS Forum postings
have over the years had claims that "virus" programs could be traced back
to the mid 70's, if not the early 70's.  The problem is two-fold:  one of
authenticating the claims; and one of drawing a clear distinction between
virus, trojan horse, worm and bacterium.  Fred's dissertation gave a very
specific definition for "virus" which unfortunately is often mangled:
namely, a Program that can infect other programs by modifying them to include a possibly evolved copy of itself.

Fred eventually received his degree and taught at Lehigh and the University of
Cincinnati.  He appears now to be a consultant and lecturer in the private
sector.  At the beginning of 1988 his thesis and another work on information
protection were available from the University of Cincinnati on an inter-
library loan basis.  I do not know if they are still available.
-------

julian@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Julian Cowley) (02/14/89)

In article <12468525996.9.CMCDONALD@WSMR-SIMTEL20> CMCDONALD@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Chris McDonald) writes:
>He [Fred Cohen] appears now to be a consultant and lecturer in the private
>sector.  At the beginning of 1988 his thesis and another work on information
>protection were available from the University of Cincinnati on an inter-
>library loan basis.  I do not know if they are still available.

His thesis appeared in the symposium "Computer Security: A Global
Challenge," proceedings of the Second IFIP International
Conference on Computer Security, Toronto, Ontario, held on Sept
10-12, 1984.

julian@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu
uunet!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!julian
julian@uhccux.bitnet