[comp.sys.misc] NorthStar Support

aguada@athena.mit.edu (Carlos Acevedo) (02/08/89)

  I need help!!! I have a lot of experimental data stored in a NorthStar
machine. It uses 51/4" floppies and "NorthStar DOS" which I can't read
into any other computer. I need to recover this information somehow and
I am not enough of a hacker to write a code to do the trick. Is there any one
out there who knows how to do this? Is there any chance that Kermit was
ever ported to the NorthStar? Any other suggestions?

                                                          Thanks,
                                                          Hector
                                                          aguada@athena.mit.edu

SAGE@LL.ARPA (02/10/89)

Local addressee: SAGE

>> I need help!!! I have a lot of experimental data stored in a NorthStar
>> machine....which I can't read

There is a card that you can buy from MicroSolutions (same people who make
the UniDos Z80 card that has been discussed here recently) that will allow
an XT or AT to format, read, and write NorthStar hard-sector-format CP/M
diskettes.  I assume that these are the same diskettes as those for what you
refer to as NorthStar DOS.  If you have only a small number of diskettes, I
would be willing to have you send them to me, and I would convert them to
some other standard format (such as MS-DOS 360K or 1.2M 5").  There would be
a few simple conditions, so check with me first.  If you still have the
NorthStar machine, I do have a version of MDM727 (MODEM7) for it -- that's
how I used to get files to and from that machine.

-- Jay Sage
   MIT Lincoln Laboratory
   PO Box 73
   Lexington, MA 02173-0073
   617-981-4704

aguada@athena.mit.edu (Carlos Acevedo) (02/14/89)

  Many thanks to those of you who aswered my call for help in reading
my data from the NorthStar disks. Fortunatelly, one of the replies
came from a "close neighbor" working in the same lab I work! He is
already set up to do exactly what I need. I guess the NorthStar is
not as dead as I originally thought.

                                                 Thanks to all,
                                                 Hector
						 aguada@athena.mit.edu