[comp.sys.misc] Words of Wisdom

martillo@cpoint.UUCP (Joacim Martillo) (03/02/89)

In article <cY2RRLy00WE14-Llop@andrew.cmu.edu> jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") writes:

>A little note on top of this....

>The last several issues of MacWeek have described how Apple is in
>rather serious financial trouble right now. Apparently, the rise
>in memory costs and their subsequent, across the board price-hike
>has caused sales last quarter to plummet.

I have seen this item as well.  In several articles the observation
was couple with the announcement of hiring several IBM executives
to top posts at Apple.  If anything, hiring IBM executives must
be considered the true beginning of the downfall of IBM.

Now, I must state unequivocally.  I like IBM machines and think
they are generally well designed but IBM executives rarely seem
to understand why IBM is a great company and how exactly the Watsons
architected the firm and under what assumptions the architecting took
place.

Thus, IBM executives moving to much smaller firms apply management
and marketing principles totally inappropriate to smaller firms
like Prime, Lotus, DG or Gould.  It is not surprising that these
firms are all going down the toilet.  Gould has more or less already
been flushed.