Date: 21 Jun 89 06:09:00 EDT
From: info-micro@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL
Subject: INFO-MICRO Digest V89 #130
To: "blue" <blue@cam.nist.gov>

Date: Wed, 21 Jun 89 01:45:36 MDT
From: INFO-MICRO-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL
To: INFO-MICRO@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL

INFO-MICRO Digest           Wed, 21 Jun 89       Volume 89 : Issue 130

Today's Topics:
                Oh, NO!!! What do I do now??? (2 msgs)
                 RLL/Floppy controller advice wanted
                    SYS and DOS 3.20-3.21 (2 msgs)

Date: Wed Jun 14 21:30:38 1989
From: gautier@lognet2.ARPA (SrA Richard A. Gautier)
Subject: Oh, NO!!! What do I do now???

I am a victim of bad information...
I had v3.20 DOS in my Hard Drive, (when I got it from someone else)
I decided to change it to v3.21, easy, right?  WRONG!!!

I copied over COMMAND.COM, and the two hidden files IBMBIO.SYS
and MSDOS.SYS, or whatever they are... replacing the old ones
with the new ones..
Then I tried to boot the computer from the hard disk...Buzz...Wrong
answer./..Then I come to find out that whoever owned the computer before me did not
have back-ups of MS-DOS v3.20, nor did he have any idea where the
originals are...
  So what the HECK do I do now?????
    HELP ME PLEASE..By mail if you can..
Thanks, SrA Gautier, Osan AB, Korea

------------------------------

Date: Thu Jun 15 09:12:04 1989
From: tmoore@lognet2.ARPA (MSgt Terry Lee Moore)

Rich,
	You have to first get booted up.  3.3 or otherwise, use the
floppy disk to boot up in 3.3.  Then run 3.3s backup utility on the
whole disk.  Then reformat the hummer.  You'll have problems untiol you
do.  I had a similar problem at coronet warrior III and this fixed it.
'course, I have very little data on the hard disk when this happened.
All of it was easily recoverable, so I jsut formated the hard drive with
3.3 and pressed.  Be careful.  Do you know how to <CTRL>-<ALT>-<INS> as
opposed to <CTRL>-<ALT>-<DEL>?
	That will call the monitor program.  give the monitor the "bf0"
command to "Boot Floppy 0" which is the A: drive.  Then you use the
thing like a floppy only system until you get the hard drive fixed.  If
you're real ambitious, you could also set the path for the hard drive
DOS for the backup, but you have to fix that again anyway when you
reformat the hard drive.  So it's best to just work off the floppy until
you get the hard drive reformated and DOS set up.
			Terry

------------------------------

Date: Thursday, 8 June 1989  06:01-MDT
From: Elefante@MULTICS.RADC.AF.MIL
Subject: RLL/Floppy controller advice wanted

I have a Zenith Z-248 and tried an Adeptec AD 2372 but couldn't get
it to work.  Nor could I ever get through to tech support at Adeptec
(they only have four phone lines, short hours, and an operator
unwilling to make a useful effort).  I sent it back and had it
replaced by a Western Digital WD1006V-SR2 which has been nothing but
a joy to install and use.  All needed setup software is in the
on-board BIOS, and it runs like hell.  I had a measureable throughput
improvement of 250% (to 560K bytes/sec for a half-meg file) by
replacing the Seagate 225 and Zenith controller with the WD
controller and a Mitsubishi 535R.  And Western Digital answered the
phone when I asked for advice prior to the swap (they were even
courteous).

------------------------------

Date: Thu Jun 15 20:05:29 1989
From: gautier@lognet2.ARPA (SrA Richard A. Gautier)
Subject: SYS and DOS 3.20-3.21

Well, I figured out that the SYS command might work, and I  tried
it, but it doesn't work..
  I had to find 35 floppy disks, and do what I feared I had  to..
Thatnks  for all the responses, though..I appreciate knowing that
the people on the net are always willing to help a freind when he
screws up big time.

Rich gautier@lognet2

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jun 1989  20:58 MDT
From: "Frank J. Wancho" <WANCHO@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

The SYS command generally does NOT work when moving up from a lower
numbered DOS to a higher one.  Well, the command works, but the result
is not what you want, namely to have the first two files be those
system files.  This is because each progressively newer version is
larger than any previous version, and the BIOS can't handle a
fragmented DOS, in general.  (Zenith's MSDOS 3.3+ does, but there are
other problems, and that's another story.)

--Frank

End of INFO-MICRO Digest V89 Issue #130